Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: MediaLab Freezes At Same Spot

MediaLab Freezes At Same Spot

I am using MediaLab v2008.1.33, and I recently attempted installing this MediaLab version on a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit). After transferring the existing questionnaire files from the desktop version of the study (running Windows XP Home) to the laptop. After running several test trials on the laptop, I noticed MediaLab began freezing up at the same place each time. Basically, after answering questionnaire item #156, the program froze before transitioning to the next question.

From what I can gather, it seems MediaLab is having a problem loading more than 156 questionnaire items on the Windows 7 laptop as even after deleting all items past #156 the freezing still occurred after transitioning to a second questionnaire. I never ran into such a problem with the Windows XP desktop version of the study, and at this point I am at a loss as to what might be causing the freezing on Windows 7. Any suggestions?

Did you just recently download this release of 2008.1.33?

Same Problem

I have been running the same (most recent) 2008 version of MediaLab on PCs that have Windows 7. In most cases, the experiment freezes at the same spot, although a few participants have managed to finish the study without this happening. I read elsewhere on this message board that people were having similar problems with MediaLab running on Vista, so I am thinking of trying their solution of breaking the experiment into 2 smaller experiments as a temporary solution. I'll let you know if this works. If this or another solution works for you, it would be great if you would let me know.

Yes, this version was downloaded and installed a week ago. I was told by the installer that this is a "demonstration" version of MediaLab - would this have anything to do with the freezing problem?

Medialab freezes, Windows 7

I am have the same problem on 6 new Dell Vostro laptops running Windows 7. We downloaded and installed Medialab 2008.1.33 between March 3-10, 2010. Study includes a DirectRT segment, but the error occurs in Medialab at the same place every time (~150 items in). Each individual questionnaire runs fine, it's only when I put several questionnaires together. The study also runs fine if I remove one of the longer questionnaires. Let me know if you need more info.

We are focusing on this right now but in the mean time, I want to add that this may be fixed in Vista but not yet in Windows 7.. See:

http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=4726
    http://www.empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=1013

Will update asap.

Looks like we maybe have a fix for Vista and Windows 7. Please feel free to post feedback here if you find the new install package resolves the issue for you.

See: http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/sh...ad.php?p=13484

2008.1.0.33c

Hi,

I have Windows 7 and I believe the updated version of medialab (v2008.1.33c is the name of the file in my downloads folder). However, it is also freezing. I'm unsure of the number of items in my experiment as I am not aware of how to gather that information [new to medialab]. I used ctrl, alt + del and the problem would occur the second time I ran the experiment. It seems it occurs after I run the experiment 2 times.

Thanks

Windows 7 and MediaLab 2008 v133 crashes

Hi,

I’ve been dealing with MediaLab crashing on Windows 7 Enterprise machines. Initially, we started with version 2006. It wasn’t able to make it through about 150 questions before locking up. Per advice from support and on your forums, I’ve tried the latest version 2008 v133c; it initially allows completion of such longer sessions, but fails on subsequent participants, even if MediaLab is closed and restarted in between participants.

This is a big problem; do you have any suggestions?

Just to be sure we are talking about the correct build of the install package, can you tell me:

1. the link you used to download
    2. approx. when you downloaded it, and
    3. what the creation date of the install package is?

I ask because we had this issue easily replicated on Windows 7 but then found what clearly seemed to be the error. However there was a short period of time where there was some confusion in where the correct--final--release of 2003.3.33c was located.

Hi Blair,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The download link -
    www.empirisoft.com/download/ml2008/ml2008.1.33c.exe

Downloaded mid to late last week.

Under the 'details' tab of the installer .exe, it reports file version 15.0.0.591 and prodcut version 1.00.0000

doug.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-07-2010 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks!

Thanks jarvis24! I know you are working hard to help get this resolved. I am confident that we will have a solution very soon. I will keep following this thread until the freezing problem gets resolved. Just hoping some words of encouragement will help! I keep trying, but it still freezes.... Thanks for your efforts