Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: DirectRT in Medialab causing random crashes in XP?

DirectRT in Medialab causing random crashes in XP?

Hi there,
    On the same XP computer running MediaLab v2008.1 on Windows XP I have been dealing with MediaLab randomly freezing, usually at the end of all the questionnaires right before the start of a 2-min shifting attention task I created in DirectRT, but also in the middle of that and all the way at the end of the study after everything has been completed with no problems (i.e., MediaLab is not consistently crashing at the same exact point which is making the problem difficult to pinpoint). I was wondering if perhaps running the DirectRT program through MediaLab could maybe be causing this problem, although it is really odd that most of the time everything works without issue when I test it (and the data is all saved) but the last few times it has crashed and I have lost all my data as a result and would really like to figure out why so I can prevent this from happening in the future! The loss of every participant's data is the loss of a lot of time and money! I would very much appreciate any help at all with diagnosing this matter.
    Thanks!
    Dina
    P.S. I can email/attach the experiment if it would be helpful

Some people have reported that the final postings of MediaLab v2008.1.33 were leading to crashing problems on XP. It was unfortunate because these later releases were designed to create more compatibility with Vista and Windows 7. The versions that caused trouble for XP users often came from installation packages suffixed with a letter, like ml2008.1.33c, ml2008.1.33d or ml2008.1.33e.

The final package above (ml2008.1.33e) is still recommended at the best 2008 release for Vista and Windows7 users (i.e, if they have not yet upgraded to v2010).

For XP users, we suggest the "non-lettered" install package (ml2008.1.33)that was stable on XP before we modified it for Vista and Windows7.

Along with some discussion of this issue, both packages can be found here:

www.empirisoft.com/download_old.aspx.

Note: If you do install the XP version, be sure to do a complete uninstall of your current version first. It's generally very safe to do so and you should not require a new license code or anything. I would test it on one machine first and see if that helps.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 03-08-2011 at 05:31 PM.