Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: how to get responses.xls file to work (case 1130)

how to get responses.xls file to work (case 1130)

Hi there,

I'm having trouble getting the skipto option in the responses file to work. What I wanted to do is to specify the conditional statement to say that "if response to text1 is 'orange' then go to 'text2', but for all other responses, go to 'text1'".

However, when I run the experiment file, it will show the question with text1, but then will immediately go to the end of the experiment. Also in the data, it doesn't record what my response to text1 was. It says "ok" instead under the value column.

I've attached my responses file, experiment and questionnaire file. Any help would be great.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jason_reed; 01-15-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Use scale response item and avoid circular SkipTo logic

There are two reasons why your conditional SkipTo logic is not working as you would like:

1. Conditional skipping only works when you start the skipping on a scale response item, not on a fill-in-the-blank or other type of item. (Imagine that a participant might capitalize or misspell "orange" in a fill-in-the-blank item, causing the SkipTo logic to skip to the wrong item because the program doesn't recognize the response as being "orange.")

2. The SkipTo logic you describe seems circular. That is, you want a certain response to item1 to redirect the participant to item1 a second time.

To work around these issues, (a) try using a scale response item to start the skipping and (b) create additional item(s) that are similar to item1 if you want to present the same item again. This will present the correct item at the correct time and will allow all of the responses to be recorded. For an example, see the questionnaire file I attached.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jd62 View Post
    Hi there,

I'm having trouble getting the skipto option in the responses file to work. What I wanted to do is to specify the conditional statement to say that "if response to text1 is 'orange' then go to 'text2', but for all other responses, go to 'text1'".

However, when I run the experiment file, it will show the question with text1, but then will immediately go to the end of the experiment. Also in the data, it doesn't record what my response to text1 was. It says "ok" instead under the value column.

I've attached my responses file, experiment and questionnaire file. Any help would be great.
    Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files