[edited from support email]

Dear Empirisoft

I'm running an experiment using DirectRT v2008, which involves looking at series of pictures. I would like to combine this experiment with eye-tracking to supplement the reaction time data. The way the system is set up currently, the computer running DirectRT is connected to a monitor through a vga-to-video adapter. The adapter then sends a signal either through composite or s-video to the eye-tracking computer's video capture card. The eye-tracking computer will then use that video input as a reference for the eye-tracker. So far so good.

My problem is that I get a very good signal from the DirectRT computer as long as DirectRT isn't running (windows is displayed). The moment I start up the experiment in DirectRT, the signal is lost (the video capture will simply show vertical lines in different color). This happens regardless of whether I'm using s-video or composite (the video capture card does not accept RGB or other inputs). Do you know why this is? I was thinking it might have to do with DirectRT changing the output signal somehow, maybe changing the resolution? However, changing the video decoder, NTSC/PAL input or other settings do not bring back the signal. As soon as I exit the experiment, the signal returns showing windows in all its glory. I did try to search your forums for an answer, but couldn't find anything. Have you come across this before?

I hope you can help me out. Please don't hesitate to write if you need further information.