Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Thought listing question

Thought listing question

[edited by moderator]
    In my questionnaire I want subjects to list their thoughts up to 8 items. At the same time, I allow them to only list 3 item if they don't have any other thoughts. I know I can inform my subjects that they can always end the thought listing by using the ESC key. However, I am afraid that my subjects will avoid answering other thought listing questions after they know the function of the ESC key. So, I am wondering if I could create a skip (e.g., go to next question) to inform subjects (who have answered at least 3 items) that they can go to the next question if they don't have any other thoughts.
    Appreciate any reply!
    Last edited by jarvis24; 09-25-2007 at 06:17 AM.

No simple way to do this. I guess you could give them a 3-response thought listing. And then give them 5 additional single thought listing items, each preceded by a "do you have any more" question trhough the use of a 2-item scale response. In each case, if they answer "no", then it would skip them over the remaining items. Don’t know of any easier way off hand.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 09-25-2007 at 06:18 AM.

[edited from related support email]
    Is there a way, with the thought listing item type, to require participants to provide a minimum number of responses while allowing for more if they have them? For example, can we set up the program so that participants must provide at least 5 responses but can provide up to 15?
    [same answer as above]
    Your suggestion is close to what we've done so far, so I guess we're on the right track. We have two trial types set up: one for 5 responses, and a second for 10 responses and the option to Esc whenever they want. But this brings up another question: Is it possible to *not* have the item number come up in front of the response text box? The second set of response boxes starts with a "1" in front of it, and we're concerned that participants will mistakenly think that they have to type in the same words again. Not a big deal, really, because we can just delete repeated responses from the analysis, but just not ideal. Any thought?
    No formal way, but I just tried a trick that seems to work. Add a left parameter to your thought listing to move it toward the edge of the screen. It prevents the number from showing. e.g., (n5,l1)