Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Learning more about reaction time research

Learning more about reaction time research

[edited from support email]
    I'm trying to demonstrate some of the potential uses of reaction time to the measure of consumers' associations of brands and products with affective stimuli. That's my reason for purchasing DirectRT. Although I've read quite a bit of published literature regarding priming, lexical decision tasks, and the IAT with regard to consumer research, I don't have access to background information. For instance, I haven't a clue how to determine adequate exposure time for pictorial or verbal primes before showing a target. I've scoured the Internet for information about word norms, and I'm overwhelmed. So, I'm asking whether you could point me to relatively concise guidance for conducting relatively basic reaction time research (such as simple priming) or even more complicated experiments such as the IAT. Any help you could provide will be much appreciated!

First thing I would do is take a look at Russell Fazio's chapter on reaction time research and then go from there. There may be something more recent but when I was in grad school, that's where we started. You could also search the SPSP archives or post the question there.

Last time I checked, the archive link was: www.stolaf.edu/people/huff/SPSP/SPSPsearch.html
    Last edited by jarvis24; 09-13-2007 at 07:54 AM.

[edited from support followup email]

I found the following chapter from a book:

Fazio, R. H. (1990). A practical guide to the use of response latency in social psychological research. In C. Hendrick & M. S. Clark (Eds.), Review of Personality and Social Psychology: Vol. 11. Research Methods in Personality and Social Psychology (pp. 74-97). Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.

And I found this:
    Dovidio, J. F., & Fazio, R. H. (1992). New technologies for the direct
    and indirect assessment of attitudes. In J. M. Tanur (Ed.), Questions about
    questions: Inquiries into the cognitive bases of surveys (pp. 204-237). New York: Russell Sage Foundation.

Are either of these what you had in mind?
    Appreciate your help!

The Practical Guide chapter (above) is probably your best bet for getting started. Other than that, you might check out the method sections of commonly cited papers by Fazio as well as John Bargh, John "Jack" Dovidio, Tony Greenwald, Mahzarin Banaji, and others. If you want to get really deep into it you might also check out papers by Roger Ratcliff. If other are reading this, feel free to add your suggestions to this thread.