Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Joystick Input - Which one should we get? (case 14018)

Joystick Input - Which one should we get? (case 14018)

Hello everyone,

We are programing an avoidance/approach task using the push/pull joystick measure and have a few questions:

1) Should we get a joystick with a weighted base, suction cups, or the combination of the both?

2) Is there a particular brand we should purchase (i.e., one that works "better" with directRT)?

3) Are there specific retailers you would recommend (e.g., lowest price, best service)?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by jason_reed; 04-14-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gh0strider18 View Post
    Hello everyone,

We are programing an avoidance/approach task using the push/pull joystick measure and have a few questions:

1) Should we get a joystick with a weighted base, suction cups, or the combination of the both?

2) Is there a particular brand we should purchase (i.e., one that works "better" with directRT)?

3) Are there specific retailers you would recommend (e.g., lowest price, best service)?

Thank you in advance.
    Hi,

The choice of a weighted base or suction cups is up to you. It would depend on how active your participants might be and where the hardware will rest. I suspect that a combination of both would be most flexible.

So long as the hardware is a standard joystick, DirectRT can handle its output. That said, DirectRT isn't able to send commands back to the joystick (for example, to activate vibration or other transducers). So any standard joystick would be ok.

Newegg and TigerDirect both have good selection, fast shipping and a fair return policy.

John

amazing step

I really appreciate the fact that the developers are introducing joysticks now and are also asking consumer opinions which are very rare to find. I actually liked the idea of the suction cup as with weighted base the joystick gets a little heavy and will be difficult to move around with. Using the suction cup can eliminate this issue but a well defined and quality full cup should be used which will not make any weird sound.

Choosing a Joystick

Choosing a joystick for your avoidance/approach task is crucial. For stability, consider a joystick with a weighted base or suction cups. The combination of both can enhance overall performance. Opting for a reputable brand is advisable, ensuring compatibility with directRT. Reliable retailers offering competitive prices and excellent service include [Retailer A] and [Retailer B]. Your selection should align with your project requirements and budget constraints. Best of luck with your programming endeavors!