Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: A multiple response item with 17 options

A multiple response item with 17 options

Is it possible for me to create more than 12 points/responses for a multiple response question within a questionnaire? I need to give my subjects at least 17 options for each question.

Thanks!

Try this sample and see if it works for you. It's a custom item that uses 17 check boxes--you can check as many or as few as you like. It retrieves the variable name and question wording from the MediaLab questionnaire. It also retrieves the colour and fonts from MediaLab and uses an extra style command to make the check boxes big like they are in the MediaLab multiple response items. Be sure to check out the section on Custom Items in the guide to see how it works if you like it.

Hope that helps!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the help!! I realized after I posted my question that it was custom item-related and would probably involve html programming, and I'm just a programming neophyte, so I gave up hope. I tried running the questionnaire and experiment you included in the MR zip file, and they worked great (just as you explained in the Help guide), but I'll have to teach myself html before I can integrate it into our experiments(!).

Using previous responses from this custom code

Hi, this thread was extremely helpful. I have a question to build on this. I'm using this custom code to create a list of 25 multiple-response items. I'd like to take the participant's answers from this list (they may choose as many or as few items as they would like), and then ask the participant to rank, in order of importance, only the items that they chose. How would I do this?

You could do that but you'd need to create a second custom item I think. Save the responses from the initial question in a responses.xls file. Then use conditional logic in Excel to assign the chosen items to variables which can be used to fill in the content of the subsequent custom item where they are ranked. Does that make any sense?

Advanced options with custom multiple response item

Thanks for your help on this one! That definitely made sense. I've run into a couple of other issues, though:

1) In the custom multiple response item, we have 26 options. One option is, if the participant doesn't want to choose any of the other 25 options, they can select "none". I'd like to put in a "skipto" if the participant selects "none", so that they can skip over the next page, which is a ranking activity for the items on the list. (This is because since they selected "none", there aren't any items for them to rank, so they don't need to see this page.) I put the name of the next page into my responses.xls file for this variable, but it didn't seem to work. How can I make this work? Is there conditional logic I need to use?

2) I have a pretty rudimentary "ranking" system right now, but it's not great, and I'd rather use a custom item that will make sure that people don't give the same ranking to more than one item and that they stay within the ranking scale (1-n, n being the number of items they choose in the previous page). Any thoughts on how to redo this?

I'm attaching my code if anyone wants to take a look and make suggestions. Thanks!

Hi, I'm trying to create a questionnaire with 30 scale response options presented horizontally (i.e., "w" parameter), without text labels. In contrast to the above posts, I'd like Ps to be able to choose only one response, having the page automatically go to the next after Ps select their choice. Thanks in advance for your help!

Multiple response with 18 options in two columns

Hi, I have one multiple response question in my questionnaire that requires 18 options, ideally I would like this to appear as two columns on one page if this is possible. I have attached a simple word document just to illustrate what I mean.

As a completely different query, my questionnaire comprises of a mixture of VAS (custom) and multiple response questions. Is there any chance that the 'continue' box which appears for the VAS question could be used throughout the questionnaire just for consistency.

Thanks.

Hamp89, did you check out the example near the top of the thread? There is a sample QUE file you can you to test the multiple item check list sample that is included. All that would be need (I think) is to alter the HTML so that the check boxes occur in two columns within an table. I can help with that if need be--wanted to confirm though that the sample posted is along the lines of what you need.. yes? no? sort of?

Hi Jarvis,
    Yes, I have attempted to use the Que file you attached above in a previous post, which definitely solves the problem of having the 18 responses on one page, so thanks for that. However, similar to the creator of this thread, I am not particularly familiar with the use of html programming, so if you would be able to help me with the idea of creating a table to form two columns, that would be great! Thanks

Can you attach what you have so far and I'll see what I can do to tweak it into two columns?

Thank you Jarvis. I edited your sample for a version with two columns. This was exactly what I needed.

One Window Multiple Responses with Scales

We are trying include multiple responses on one window where you have a question with 4 parts and each part requires its own scale.
    Example:
    "I feel anxious when in a large gathering with:
    strangers....... (scale of 0-6)
    authority figures....(scale of 0-6)
    opposite sex....(scale of 0-6)
    people in general.....(scale of 0-6)

Would this require html programming? What would be the coding?

Bachen--if you are still pursuing this, check out the section in the user's guide on Custom Items. Let me know if you have any questions. Then take a look at the sample called "multiple responses" way up at the top of this thread. Try running the sample questionnaire that comes with it and see if it is what you are looking for. If so, let me know--if it's just a matter of replicating the question with alternate options it will pretty much be a copy and paste job using notepad or wordpad. Just the variable names will need to be updated accordingly. I can help you if you run into any trouble. But again, be sure to read the section on Custom Items because it's a really good primer to creating these kinds of items. And also to understanding any feedback you might get from others who create custom items! Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

A multiple response item with 17 options (case 7055)

I used one of the codes given and modified it for what I needed but now I need to be able to limit the number of boxes they can check. I need them to select 5 boxes, no more and no less.

Can someone help me do this? I've attached my code.

Thanks.
    Last edited by jason_reed; 05-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hartj View Post
    I used one of the codes given and modified it for what I needed but now I need to be able to limit the number of boxes they can check. I need them to select 5 boxes, no more and no less.

Can someone help me do this? I've attached my code.

Thanks.
    The zip file you included did not contain any files, or there was an error when I downloaded. I used the original multitresponse file and modified with a javascript function that will validate the question upon submit. The user will not be able to continue until exactly 5 selections have been made. Hopefully this example will can be a good starting point for you. Obviously you can make changes to the style and var names to match your questionnaire style.

Thanks!

Yes I realize now that I didn't attach the file I wanted modified. I'm attaching it again (for real this time!), is there anyway that you can make it so that they can only select five (no more, no less) on the file I already have?

Thank you again!

Help!

I took one of the files posted on the thread and modified it for what I needed. But now I'm having a couple of problems. The first problem is that I don't know how to limit the number of options that they can select. I need them to be able to selct 5 options, no more and no less. The second problem is that when I test the questionnaire, it runs fine but I can't access the data in SPSS. The SPSS file that corresponds with the questionnaire will open but none of the options selected are there in the SPSS file.

If someone could please take a look at the html file I have and make the changes I need I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.