Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Memory Test

Memory Test

Hi there!

I am working on a project that requires a working memory test. While this would be simple in DirectRT(based on what I have read others saying on this forum), but unfortunately it seems my school is not licensing DirectRT anymore. While initially I was going to use a test that presented seven random words from a list, and then have the participant select the words that they just saw from a longer list of words, and repeat this process several times. At this point I have, through the use of the help file and the internet, gotten the majority of my experiment together, this memory test is eluding me. I would like to stick with word recall, but otherwise I am very open to suggestions of how I can assemble a viable working memory test in MediaLab.

Take Care,
    Michael O Daly

example recall test

Hi MODaly!

It should be fairly easy to create a test where your participants can recall a list of words that they saw. I uploaded an example questionnaire file that shows ten words automatically presented for two seconds each (using the 'duration' parameter of d2 for each item word1 through word10).

There are many possible ways to do a recall test, but I thought a simple thought listing item could work for you. I created it so that participants would be told to type as many words as they could recall. The nice thing about the thought listing item is participants type words one a time. I also gave the item a time limit of 60seconds using the d60 value in the parameter field of the recall item. You don't have to have the question happen under a time limit, but I thought that it might be nice to see in action.

Please let me know if this helps you along in creating the kind of recall test you were hoping to do. If you need more help or advice, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.

Cheers!

Psychboiler
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jarvis; 03-26-2013 at 03:27 PM.

This sounds right up the alley of what I was looking for! As soon as I get my hands into it tomorrow, I will be able to tell you more, but this has ideas bubbling. I may try to integrate an interfering math problem to make it more aospan-like.

Thank you so much! I will keep you, and this thread, updated with any changes I make.

Take Care,
    Michael O Daly

Michael,

I'm glad to hear that you are moving in your desired direction. Please do continue to post about your progress.

Cheers!

Psychboiler

Michael--just an FYI re licensing:

If your department was ever licensed to use DirectRT then you should be OK. We don't have a duration parameter on our licenses! The only limitation is that you would need to use whatever the last version was that they had licensed. e.g., if you guys had v2010 but never upgraded to v2012, you could still use v2010 for all eternity! The only exception I know of to this happens in cases where a single faculty member "owns" the licenses and takes them with them when moving to a new job. If that's the case though let us know and we'll help you get licenses one way or another. No lab will be left behind!