Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Stop a video with a keypress (case 5483)

Stop a video with a keypress (case 5483)

Edit: Hmm, I asked this question a couple years ago. And got an answer a couple years ago! Sorry about that.

I want to show participants a movie clip, and have them hit the space bar to stop the movie when they notice an object in the video. I want the reaction time for that, too. Right now, I can't even figure out how to get the movie to stop playing with a key press -- the "Continue" button at the bottom right of the screen is not showing up. Thanks!
    Last edited by jason_reed; 09-15-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwayand View Post
    Edit: Hmm, I asked this question a couple years ago. And got an answer a couple years ago! Sorry about that.

I want to show participants a movie clip, and have them hit the space bar to stop the movie when they notice an object in the video. I want the reaction time for that, too. Right now, I can't even figure out how to get the movie to stop playing with a key press -- the "Continue" button at the bottom right of the screen is not showing up. Thanks!
    hi, jwayand.

the other day I posted a reply to a similar question in the DirectRT section of this forum.

http://support.empirisoft.com/showthread.php?t=8169

if you have Direct RT, and still need to stop a video via a key press, record the reaction time, and proceed to the next part of the study, then you may want to review my example, you can download at the link above.

if you do not have access to Direct RT, and still need help with this in MediaLab, please let me know, and I'll look into it

Recording additional key presses for a video

Hi jwayand,

I'd like to build on timdrichie's great advice by directing you to another thread where Blair Jarvis and I addressed a related issue you might run into: wanting your participants to be able to press a key anytime they see something of interest in a video. I know you said in your original post that you wanted participants to be able to stop the video, but I thought that you might be interested in this option for your projects.

http://support.empirisoft.com/showthread.php?t=8140

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this thread and I will be happy to help. Enjoy!

Sincerely,
    Psychboiler
    Last edited by jason_reed; 09-15-2014 at 04:44 PM.