Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: MediaLab Write RT, case 2523

MediaLab Write RT, case 2523

I want to measure the time people need to respond to one item (until they clicked their answer on a 7-point Likert Scale).
    I programmed a MediaLab-study by implementing html files. For every item I used one html, that means that they have to answer one item, click on the CONTINUE-button and then the next html appears with the next item on it.
    When I instruct MediLab to Write RT, then it creates two new variables per item filled with milliseconds, I guess one is the time until the participants click the answer and the other is the time for the CONTINUE -button.
    Now my problem: Often the times given for both are the same (but in reality there was a time delay of minimum 2 seconds), sometimes the number of the variable which is supposed to give the time for the CONTINUE -button is higher than the number in the variable which I assume to give the time for the item.
    I would appreciate an idea how to measure the respond time the participant needed to click every item.
    Thank you a lot.

Recording response times

Could this be being caused by the variable naming? From what you have said, it sounds like you have a series of custom items, each one displaying a single Likert scale. For this to work, you would need each custom item to have a unique name, which matches the "name" in the input field of the corresponding .html file.

There is also the option to use the WriteRT option with scale response items. Given what you are trying to do, this seems like it might be an easier course of action. A Likert scale would be easy to implement, and Medialab would give you a measure of how long each participant took to choose a response. Would that work with your design?

@ jsimons

Thank you for your answer. That helped a lot and gave me something I could try the next time I have to program something like this.

Thank you!