Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Display Previous Response

Display Previous Response

I'm creating an experiment in which participants first answer a certain question (describe an event), then answer a set of other multiple-choice questions, and are then supposed to view the event that they described (the essay that they wrote at the beginning of the experiment) and then answer a few multiple-choice questions about it.
    I don't know how to display the essay that they wrote to the participants, and didn't manage to find anything about it in your help guide. Any ideas?
    Last edited by jarvis24; 08-22-2007 at 03:49 PM.

You could use a fill-in-the-blank item rather than an essay. Then you could insert the response into later question wording. You can adjust the size and allowable content of the blank to accommodate more text. Note that Excel and SPSS can only read in the first 255 characters of a fill in the blank response though. If you need to record more of the essay in your data files, let me know and I can explain a way to do that.

See: http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...mtype.htm#fitb

I wasn't the original poster here, but I have a similar question. I want to:

a) get a response time and then tell the S what it was ("You completed the measure in X minutes, Y seconds")
    b) have Ss input items early on, do some intervening measures, and then answer questions about the item later (i.e. "Earlier you said...INSERT ITEM HERE. Now answer the following questions with respect to that.")

I see that you mentioned using fill-in-the-blanks, which is fine, that's what I've done, but how do you insert the information from the data file back into the output? Thanks for any help you can give, or suggestions of how to get around it if it's not possible.

You can do that by creating a response.xls file and listing the variables that you need to display in that spreadsheet, and then later including <variable name> at the approprate portion of a html display.

If you hop down a few threads, I've got a post about obtaining previous responses. You can look at that excel file and the correponding html files in the details folder. This works provided you don't need any form of randomization though. I'm looking for a solution that lets me include these previous responses while randomizing between groups, so if anyone knows how to do this, do let me know please!

Thanks, yusername! I'll have a look at that...but I may be back if I can't understand it. I've only been using MediaLab for a couple of weeks now and that looks pretty complex.

So is it not possible to do this without using HTML? I've already done the rest of the questionnaire in standard Medialab format, and it's going to look pretty weird if a couple of random pages are opened with Internet Explorer and have a completely different format.

I also don't know how to write to the response.xls file in the first place...I can't figure it out just from looking at your files. I don't know how to do this!!
    Last edited by merpy; 11-23-2007 at 12:56 PM.

I found a response to a similar question that looks like the best way to do this, but I only have medialab v2004!!!

You can insert previous fill in the blank and scale responses into question wording and response options by placing the variable name in <> brackets. In your case, you might have a multiple response question like this:

Code:

What groups are important to you?

1. <religion>
    2. <race>
    3. <politics>

I know you can draw these from previous scale response and fill in the blank items doing it this way. Not sure if you can draw from previous multiple response items. If not, you could do that using the advanced features via the responses.xls file (see guide for more on that).

Note that this requires v2006 or later, I believe.

Hope that helps!
    Blair
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-23-2007 at 03:24 PM.

You could do it with the Adavanced Features. You would just have to be sure to refer to the variable as it is normally written in the data file, e.g., myvar could be <myvar_01>, <myvar_02>, etc. Check out the section in the user's guid on Advance Features--it explains it pretty well and will also point you to a sample that illustrates this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-23-2007 at 03:27 PM.

This works beautifully, and isn't nearly as complicated as I had thought. Thanks a lot!