Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Yoking Random Pairs and Jumping (case 2013)

Yoking Random Pairs and Jumping (case 2013)

I have trials in which I present randomly chosen images (e.g., "$imageA") and have two valid response options. In case of one response, the trial is continued and yoked image is presented (e.g., "&imageB^-1). However, when the other response option is chosen, I have a mid-trial jump command to trial 20 ("<-20"). In trial 20, a different yoked image is supposed to be presented (e.g., "&imageC^-1"), but after jumping, no yoking actually takes place. DirectRT always presents the same image regardless of what was the previous randomly presented image.
    I should also mention that after the jump command, the second image from the list is always presented. When I increase the integer by 1 (so going from -1 to -2), the fourth picture was presented.
    Attached is a simplified version of the file.
    Any help with that would be appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jason_reed; 12-12-2015 at 12:12 PM.

If I have understood correctly, one way to achieve what you are trying to do would be as follows.

Rather than organizing your stimuli by position in the trial (sets M, A, B, C, X, Y in your example code), you could arrange them by yoked set. So, for example, you might have stimulus set StimA, which contains an initial image, the three stimuli to be presented if participants choose the first (jump) response option after image A, then the three to be shown if they choose the second (non-jump) option. You would then end up with as many lists as you have yoked sets of stimuli.

Each trial in the main body of the experiment would use one stimulus set. You would initially present the first stimulus in the set, then stimuli 2-4 if they press up, and stimuli 5-7 if they press down. I've attached a simplified example to show what I mean; I cut it down to two yoked stimuli for each initial image (one for each for the jump and no-jump options), but it would work with six as you originally had (three for the jump option, three for the no-jump option). [NB I also switched the response keys to up and down, so I could run it on my computer.]

You can still get random presentation order by using within-group randomization. The downside of this method is that you will need as many 'jump' trials as you have stimuli. The upside is that you have an absolute reference for each stimulus.

I hope this solution works with your design.
    Attached Files Attached Files