Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Items presented in subsequent question wording (case 104)

Items presented in subsequent question wording (case 104)

Hello!

Is it possible to present a previously ranked item in MediaLab?

Ideally, I would like to have participants rank items from most preferred to least preferred, and then have the most preferred item presented in question wording later on in the experiment. I do understand that this can easily be accomplished with "<>" but is limited to Fill-in-the-blank and scale responses.

If it is possible, do I have to set up some conditionals in my data file?

Currently, I have 10 values (i.e., v_01 to v_10), each with an associated rank (1 being most preferred to 10 being least preferred). Later on, I would like to present the participants with the text label corresponding to their most preferred item.

I have an IF statement that will find the the variable I am looking for in Excel, but I am unsure of how to get this to work in MediaLab as either an Instructions item or a Custom (HTML) item.

<=IF(v_01=1,"Item1",IF(v_02=1,"Item2",IF(v_03=1,"I tem3",IF(v_04=1,"Item4",IF(v_05=1,"Item5",IF(v_06= 1,"Item6",IF(v_07=1,"Item7",IF(v_08=1,"Item8",IF(v _09=1,"Item9",IF(v_10=1,"Item10"))))))))))>

Regards,
    Andrew

Hi Andrew. You should be able to use the standard <> format to insert your calculated value into an Instructions item. Essentially, you'd want it to look something like this:

Your favorite item was <AndrewsVariable>.

Assuming you've used the responses.csv file in your experiment folder, MediaLab will go looking for the corresponding variable in that file. It will find the result of your if statement, which should have assigned a the appropriate text label to that calculated variable. So, for example, if your subject rated the velociraptor the highest, they would see:

Your favorite item was the velociraptor.