Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Unable to access data folders

Unable to access data folders

We use the "parallels" program to run MediaLab in Mac (this program just give a Windows interface for easier access by users). After we entered the subject ID and condition number when "select and runn an experiment," a message will pop up saying that "unable to access or create data folders; if your data folders in the CD rom please change that in Preferences." The problem is that we set the default data files as "default.mlp" and we are not sure why this is still happening. It will be greatly appreciated if you can reply us soon so that we can resume our experiment.

What is the location of your experiment folder (i.e., the folder that contains your .exp and .que files)?

The file is named our experiment name. It is located at a folder called "Parallels shared folder" if logged in to Windows via Parallel and it is located at the desktop of Mac since we did not install medialab directly using Mac.

What is the exact path name required to open the folder from Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer while Windows is active? Does it assign the Mac hard drive a drive letter such as "C:\"?

The whole experiment folder is contained in a file called "Parallels Shared Folder" under the desktop of Windows. It is not included inside the C: drive where the MediaLab folders are installed to. In the Mac, it is placed in the desktop (i dont believe that there is a C: drive for Mac)...

When you select an experiment to run, MediaLab needs it to be a traditional file path such a "c:\my experiments\experiment1" or "g:\network\shared\experiment1" etc. If the Parallels program does not give Windows drive letters to use by default, then you can probably ask Windows to create them.

Try this..

Open any folder and see if there is a command on the Tools menu to "Map a Network Drive". It should allow you to choose your experiment folder from the desktop and assign it a letter like "E:" or "F:". Then, when you go to select your experiment, you should see the drive letter as an option--click it and then choose your experiment from there.