Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: I want to make instructions appear on top of an image (case 3095)

I want to make instructions appear on top of an image (case 3095)

I am using an instructions item type and I want the users input from a past trial to appear on top of an image. When I type the instructions and variables in the question wording, the BackImage covers up the instructions. Is there a way to change this so that the instructions are in the foreground and the image is in the background?
    Last edited by jason_reed; 12-13-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astivers View Post
    I am using an instructions item type and I want the users input from a past trial to appear on top of an image. When I type the instructions and variables in the question wording, the BackImage covers up the instructions. Is there a way to change this so that the instructions are in the foreground and the image is in the background?
    I'm having the same problem as astivers.

Previously, I was able to present instructions over a background image using Medialab v2008 on a Windows XP machine. Currently, I am using Medialab v2010 on a Windows 7 machine, and I am no longer able to present instructions over an image. Is this because of v2010 or Windows 7? Could this be fixed with an upgrade to v2012?

Hi astrivers and mknowles. I'm not sure why you're having that problem, but I think I can help you out. This might not be the most elegant solution, but I think you can use a custom item to circumvent whatever is causing the problem. I found this bit of code at http://www.htmlgoodies.com/tutorials...ver-Images.htm and modified it slightly for the present purposes. I've attached the resulting html.

The important thing to note is that, for this to work, you must set the height and width parameters in the code to equal those of your image. If you click on the image file in Windows 7 you should see this information displayed at the bottom of the screen as "Dimensions" (e.g. 640 x 480); the first number is the width, and the second is the height. Alternately, you can right click the file, select "properties" from the menu, and then go to the "details" tab to find the dimensions. If you don't adjust the height and width you may either not see the whole image, or the image may repeat and appear tiled.

As long as the height and width are set, all you need to do is place the file name for your image and the test for your instructions in the code and you're good to go. I hope this helps!