Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Insert <variable> in question wording not working

Insert <variable> in question wording not working

[edited from support email]

I want to have the scale response inserted into subsequent feedback. For some reason, during the experiment, the insertion does not occur, but simply shows the actual item name i.e. <VarName> as is.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 12-02-2005 at 07:31 AM.

I think there may be a case issue--try using lower case <varname> rather than the combination of upper and lower (e.g., VarName). This applies to the actual variable name as well as the later point where you request the insertion. In any case (ha ha) I'll see if I can find the source of the sensitivity and correct it.

Thumbs up

Issue fixed as of v2006.1.20--upper, lower and combination of upper and lower case will work fine. In prior versions, using an all-lower case variable name will also fix this.

Similar problems

Hi. This is feedback rather than a question per se. I've just purchased MediaLab recently and was having similar problems with inserting <variables> into question wording. I have MediaLab v2008.1.33 but only managed to solve this problem once I converted all my variable to lowercase. In other words, variables with a mix of upper and lower case don't seem to work using the advanced functions for me, despite having the lastest version of MediaLab - but the lower case work-around still seems to fix the problem all the same.

In general - I'm having fun with the software, and it is meeting my expectations! This solution for problems with variables wasn't immediately intuitive however.

W

Thanks for the feedback--will check into this. If you happen to have a zippable copy of a que and responses.xls file that demonstrates this w v2008, that would be great.

Trouble Shooting: Fill in the blank questionnaire and the duration parameter

Hi,

I am having difficulty pulling the information participants enter into a fill in the blank item, into the question wording of a subsequent fill in the blank item. This is how I currently have the questionnaire file set up.

1. First, participants are given an essay title and told they will have 2 minutes to write their answer once they click continue.
    2. Participants are presented with a reminder of the question and a fill in the blank space (unlimited text space using the s5 parameter).
    3. When the time runs out participants are asked whether they require more time using a scale response.
    4. If participants press yes for more time, they see what they have written so far (using the <> parameter to pull the text from the fill in the blank into the question wording). They are then provided with space (second fill in the blank) to write anything extra for a further 2 minutes.

In the early stages of running through the experiment, everything appeared to work fine. I'd get to number 2 (above) and write a short sentence into the space (I didn't write a whole essay at first as I was making small amendments so I pressed esc to move on), pressed yes for more write more (number 3) to check this was working and that my sentence appeared in the question wording, and it did (number 4). I also tested this with longer samples of text, by copying and pasting a small paragraph into the space, pressing esc and yes for more time, which also worked fine (my small paragraph appeared).

However, if I spend 2 minutes writing the essay (to see how much particiants can write in that time) and press yes to write more when the time runs out (as opposed to pressing Esc) the <> parameter no longer works and participants cannot see what they wrote in the first fill in the blank (number 2), in the question wording (number 4)

I'm unsure whether I've missed something or why this is not working. I wondered what you thought about this?

So is the problem reliably a function of the amount of text that goes into the initial essay? I do know there may be a 255 character cut off for how much text a fill in the blank answer can store in memory for later use and for writing to the data files.

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion. I tried writing less than 255 characters into the fill-in-the-blank box and waiting for the time to run out. When I click yes for more time, the text I typed in does not show up. If I enter in the same text, press esc before the time runs out and yes for more time, the text shows up.

Laura

So to be sure I understand. The essay they are writing is actually being written in a fill-in-the-blank item (with an s5 parameter to make it big) and NOT an essay item, correct? I think so. And then it's as if the FITB does not save the "essay" data if the time runs out--only if the user completes the item before that. Consequently, when re-presented with the previous entry, it appears blank if the time had run out earlier when it was presented the first time. Again, as if the response was not saved because the time ran out. Am I getting it now? If so, exactly what version of MediaLab are you using (i.e., 20xx.x.x) and can you post a copy of your exp and que file?

Hi,

Yes that's all right. I am using v 2008 1.33. See attached the experiment and questionnaire file.

Thank you for your help.

Laura
    Attached Files Attached Files