Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: play a looped sound?

play a looped sound?

Hi!
    I am working with an older version of MediaLab (2004), so in case that's a featue of later versions, please let me know...

Basically, for different conditions I have different sounds that I simply want to play while participants are working on a paper-and-pencil task. Because I want to assure that the correct sound is being played for each condition and I would like to be able to track down which sound has been played afterwards, I would like to tell MediaLab which sound to start for each condition.

My problem is: The soundfile itself is only 1 minute long, but I'd like to loop it for 8 minutes. How can I do that? Can't wait to read some hints!

A way to solve this is to loop the sound manually. I.e. open the original file in any wave editor (Blair recommends the freeware Audacity), select everything, copy the selction and insert it at the end of the file. Redo this until you 've reached the desired length.
    I hope this helps.

Henrik

Thank you!

Hmm, actually this doesn't work. Nothing happens after the first time the sound has been played. I thought maybe DirectRT wouldn't play the same sound twice (like "search, play, and then exclude from the searchable list), so I copied the soundfile and saved the copy under a different name, which I referred to in the line after the first sound should have been played. Any other ideas??

I think what Henrik was suggesting was to edit the actual soundfile so that it would contain multiple copies of the same sound content--i.e., your 1 minute clip would become 8 minutes long. Consequently, you would no longer have to worry about looping because it would be built right into your sound file. If you want to post one of your sound files, perhaps Henrik or I could show you.