Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Trouble copying and pasting in ML editor

Trouble copying and pasting in ML editor

[edited from support email]
    I am currently working in medialab to create a large file, the file will contain approximately 1024 questions. The format of these questions is very similar. Each is a fill in the blank question with the wording for the question appearing in an html file that is put in the background column. Due to the similar nature of these questions, I have been trying to copy one question to create the other 1000 questions. That way I can more easily create this large file. I have no problem creating the questions. I then save the file (and medialab tells me it saves). However, when I reopen this file only maybe 20% of the file is actually saved. Any cues as to what is happening here would be appreciated.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 03-21-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Microsoft Access can be used to edit questionnaire files in place of the MediaLab editor. It can help in cases where you are experiencing trouble with cutting and pasting for example. Here is the blurb on it from the MediaLab user's guide:
    Questionnaire (.que) and Experiment (.exp) files are really just small Access database files. If you right click on any questionnaire or experiment file and select Open With, you can choose Microsoft Access if you have it installed (you may have to browse for it). If you do this you may be informed that you can not make changes to database objects. That's ok. You may also be asked if you want to convert the database to a more recent version--just say no, and ask to open the file. Once the file is open in Access, you can double click on Table1 to edit the file. This allows you to bypass the MediaLab Experiment Editor completely or you can do some of the work in Access and some of the work in the MediaLab editor. Some people, e.g., like to load their files into Access for heavy copying and pasting jobs, or to use the Access Spell Checker.

Also, for smaller jobs, be sure to look at the external copy and external paste commands in the user's guide or online here:

http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/mx_edit.htm

It's awkward but can be done. Note that pasting back and forth is also easier if done from the Details window in the Editor. At some point soon we'll also have a new editor that is much better at this sort of stuff.