Hi,

We have been using DirectRT on at least 4 different computers. We have also programmed different experiments and several versions for each experiment.

What has occurred on various computers, using various programming and different versions, and at different times (e.g., 6 months ago, last week, etc.) is the following:

During the programming, at random times, instead of the programmed stimuli a black screen appears with a tiny icon (which looks like a slightly different version of the image I am attaching) in the center of the page. You can occasionally get rid of this screen by pressing on a key that was entered as an acceptable response in the DirectRT programming, however at times there is no way to continue and you must exit the programming.

In the output file, this malfunction is not apparent (e.g., it records the response if this was programmed, and looks as though the programmed stimuli was displayed).

This happens occasionally and at other times not at all (e.g., we may run the program 10-20 times and it will only happen once, or several times, or never, without us making any changes to the programming or the computer settings).

Upon reflection, I am wondering if this occurs due to potential automatic updates (e.g., java or windows) which interfere with DirectRT.

Is this possible? Has this happened to others?

I need help in resolving this as it is quite obviously interfering with us running experiments using DirectRT.

Best,

Carolyn