Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: save voice response but clear stimulus immediately

save voice response but clear stimulus immediately

[edited by moderator]

how do i record a) subjects time of voice response and b) the full voice response while
    the responded-to stimuli disappears immediately after voice response begins.
    thanks,
    baruch
    Last edited by jarvis24; 11-28-2005 at 09:46 AM.

rt:aud,rec,-1500,clear-1

This example will take an audio RT, clear the stimulus from the screen at the RT, record the response for 1500ms beyond the RT.

record voice response following stimulus but with mask

Hi-

We're recording naming latencies using Direct RT's voice recording function. We're presenting a word (for 180ms) and then following it with a mask (a series of ####, also for 180ms). We want to start recording with the word stimulus, since participants could conceivably start naming during the initial 180ms presentation, but want the 180ms mask to appear immediately after the 180ms presentation of the word.

The way I've programmed the file now, the word is presented for 180ms, then the mask for 180 ms, then the response is requested. This has given us data with reaction times that seem impossibly low, and I know I'm doing something wrong!

How do we record a response to the actual name, record the entire response (so we can verify errors afterwards), and simultaneously get that mask to appear?

Thanks!

clint

This example will take an audio RT, clear the stimulus from the screen at the RT, record the response for 1500ms beyond the RT.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I understand. Are you expecting any verbal response during the first and/or second 180ms time period? I ask because it would be unusual for a subject to be capable of responding vocally to the meaning of a stimulus in under 200ms. If that's what you're going for, no problem, I'm just checking.

I've attached a copy of our .csv file in case you're interested in the nuts and bolts, but you've got it right: we want the participants to be able to make a voice response at any time from the moment that the word to be named appears. This could be during the subsequent mask, or after, or, I suppose, during the initial 180 ms presentation of the word itself... although as you noted, that seems highly unlikely. This is our problem, for the research assistants helping us test this have average voice RTs of about 150 ms, which makes no sense. We're replicating another study where the averages were in the much-more-reasonable 450-550 ms range, so I know something is amiss...