Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Insert Russian Language MediaLab Questions and Answers

Insert Russian Language MediaLab Questions and Answers

Hi there,

I am using MediaLab software v2008 1.33 on Windows XP. I have a questionnaire ready working well in english but I'd like to change the questions and answers in Russian language. My questionnaire is fairly simple, most of my questions are based on Fill-in blanks, Scales and Ranking. Russian caracters would appear as "??????" in the experiment editor. Can you help?

Cheers.

Hi there,
    I have tried to apply the different ways explained in the "Preferences" part of the manual/ Foreign font (Preferences & Edit preferences, Character Set and Experiment Editor/Options) but I don't seem to find the font that support cyrilic characters. Changing the Character Set to the available Russian does not seem to change anything. If somebody has managed in the past with these cyrillic characters, could you please help?

I have managed to modify MediaLab messages, chaging some of the messages in the "substitute.txt" file, saved as unicode and actually enclosing proper Russian. But the displayed font is not correct when visualising the questionnaire.... I really donlt know what to do and as you probably realised I am NOT a software person .

Eve

Eve,

Can you attach a copy of your substitute.txt file and perhaps a short text file with Russian content? Also, please let me know which font you are using when creating the substitute.txt file such that it looks correct at that point (i.e., even though it does not look correct during the session).

Introducing Russian language in my questionnaire

substitute.txt

Russian text.txt

Hi there,

The font I am using is either Lucida Console (Cyrillic) or Calibri (Cyrillic) within these text documents. although it appears correct in the text file and keep record of the cyrillic script, it is not correct when it appears during the experiment (symbols replace the real characters).
    Aslo within the Experiment Editor, I can not keep Calibri (cyrillic Script) as my favorite font to write questions. Therefore when I want to enter text in my edited questionnaire, it does not take cyrillic font and writes ?????? instead in the text window.
    Thank you for your help -
    Kind regards,
    eve

I'm working on this. If it helps, here are two sources I'm working with now:

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/9050.htm
    http://www.auburn.edu/~mitrege/russi.../cyrillic.html

I'll post more as soon as I can.

Hi there,
    I have used the tricks given on the second website to type in Russian characters in the Experiment Editor. It worked fine so that's great. However when I run through the questionnaire the RANKING QUESTION type doesn't take the characters well (see print screen attached).
    Can you help to fix that?
    Have you done any progress on the substitute file also for the cyrillic characters?
    Finally, is there any chance you could send me all the graphics ("continue", etc..) in Russian language? Thank you.
    eve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dear Eve,

Did you ever find a resolution for this? I'm very happy to hear you were able to get the Russian text to appear correctly in the editor--which trick(s) made that possible? I'm especially curious in case other users run into the same problem. The new editor I am working on for the 2012 version will be unicode compatible and so should have this resolved (i.e., so no tricks will be necessary).

As far as the ranking question goes--is it primarily the labels that you are having issues with? Does the Russian text work ok for the other other item types? If so, please attach the latest version of the que file and I'll see if I can modify the labels in the ranking item to allow for the text. As for the continue, go back and instruction labels, I can make these in Russian for you no problem. Can you send me graphics and or text showing me what they should look like? e.g., in a Word Document and/or a screen shot. Both would be ideal!

-Blair

ps., thank you for attaching the pdf--it was VERY helpful to see exactly what you were having trouble with.