Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Key Code 248 using TTL: Joystick conflict?

Key Code 248 using TTL: Joystick conflict?

I am using a TTL device and need DirectRT v.2006 to record reaction time based on responses from that device. The device sends signals of 120 and 248, as indicated using the Empirisoft Port Read/Write Test. Everything works fine when I only ask DirectRT to "listen" for 120, however, when I enter 248, DirectRT asks for a joystick. I have been sure to include the port information, such that under the time column I have: rt:120,(889) -which works- and rt:248,(889) -which does not work. After looking at the key codes, it appears that DirectRT uses 248 as a joystick code. How can I get around this?
    Thanks!

I have never heard of that happening before. Does the same result occur if you use any of the codes 241-255? That is, any of the joystick and/or mouse input codes? If so, it's a bug and we'll try to get it fixed for the next version. That would be odd that this is the first report of it though if you are using v2006! Hmm.

This bug is really unfortunate. But are you sure that there is nothing to be done to ask the software to ignore the fact that our device is not a joystick and just go on processing the data as it would normally do if the key has not been pre-assigned? It is really important to us...

What happens after you are prompted for a joystick? Does this occur as soon as you try to start the session? I assume then that you are not able to then continue with the session? My guess is that it initially scans the input file for any joysticks codes and makes sure that you have one. If you could get by the initial check then perhaps it would work fine. Just not sure if that's what you are getting.

What we are getting is exactly as you describe it. If we could get by the initial check and the message asking for the joystick, it would probably work (the empirisoft port read/write test does work with both signals 120 and 248).
    How could we do that?

May sound like an unusual and perhaps annoying solution--but have you tried connecting a joystick to the system (serial port? usb?)? If you do that, then when DirectRT sees the 248 code, it should be comforted by the fact that there is joystick attached and let you pass. i.e., This should get you by the initial check and then DirectRT ought not ask you again during the session. Of course the proper solution would be for us to modify the code such that you could somehow turn off this warning. We can add this to our queue, but for an immediate fix, this may give you what you need, i.e., a way around the initial warning. Note that any joystick should work--e.g.,the cheapest radio shack serial port or USB stick you can find.

Using a joystick did the trick. Thank you!