Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Seeing a square icon where an image should be?

Seeing a square icon where an image should be?

My name is Jenny and recently I've programmed an experiment in Direct RT. In this experiment I'm presenting to subjects around 40 face photos in a bmp format. The subjects are asked to click on the RCtrl or the LCtrl, depends on the question presented. But it seems to be an apparent bug. Most of the time the experiment runs well, but sometimes one of the photos doesn't appear (one of the stims in column N in the input, please see attached the input) and instead the subject sees some sort of a small square. It's hard for me to indicate if it is always the same stimulus (I don't think it is). It happens on different computers, and there is no documentation of it in the output. As I said, it happens only part of the times I'm running the experiment. You may well try to run the input and find nothing's wrong. That’s why I'm frustrated.
    The version I'm using is 8.00.131. The windows version is XP. Other experiment running on the same computers I'm running don't seem to suffer from that bug….
    All the researchers are using the same versions of windows and Direct RT and the same computers…
    Is there any chance somone heard something like that before?

thank you!
    Jenny
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by vrlab; 10-21-2010 at 10:49 AM.

Yes, we have heard of this issue and do not have a resolution for the version you are using. We do have a new version though which can be installed to replace your current 2008 version that ought to resolve this. It will be posted publicly soon, but in the meantime, you can get a copy by emailing our sales manager, John Chapman via email through the sales@ address. There is no charge for the update. You might include a link to this support thread when you write him. Definitely try this on just one machine first and, of course, please let me know if that does not fix it (it has for others).

I've done as you said

hopfuly it will work.

thank you!

a new problem...

Well, I've installed the copy of the new version of direct rt, and now the input doesn't run at all. Only the first screen goes up and that’s it. The program doesn't react to any key except for Esc.
    Is it possible that the reason for that is the fact that I haven't entered an authorization code?
    thank you
    Jenny
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-26-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Can you please post a copy of your input file? Do the samples that come with DirectRT still work ok?

It’s the same input I've attached in the first thread. I have no idea if the samples work. I'll check it as soon as I'll return to the lab (it's 10:30 pm here…)
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-27-2010 at 10:07 PM.

OK, let's wait to see if the samples do the same thing--that will at least tell us if it's a general issue or if its some specific some syntax issue.

The samples work...

A couple ideas to try. First try making a copy of your input file but eliminate all but the first ten trials. Then run it--same problem? If so, try eliminating the two comment (!) columns from your revised 10-trial version and try running that. If it still doesn't work after that, please post this new revised/reduced input file and I'll look into it further to see why it might be having trouble but where the samples seem to run fine.

I've tried that, and it didn't work (I've attached the revised input file – untiteled1). But I found out something interesting. When I change the time response from rt:57 to rt:any (the time column in CI-NO input) it works fine till it comes to the trail when it needs the cursor (also attached) and then, again, it doesn't work. It doesn't recognize the mouse. I specifically checked the cursor sample and it doesn’t work either. Actually all the trails with rt that isn't "any" (written under the time column) don't work, so maybe it's a software issue after all....

Jenny
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jarvis24; 10-28-2010 at 04:17 PM.

Sounds like two issues here. First rt:57 should be triggered by the spacebar being pressed. Am I understanding you correctly that, in your sample, if you use rt:57 then DirectRT is not letting the spacebar act as a valid response? But that if you use rt:any, then it's fine. Does that also include the spacebar? i.e., the spacebar will work under rt:any, but not rt:57?

If I'm getting this right, then try looking at the log data file to see what key codes are beiong recorded when you press the spacebar under rt:any. If it says 57, that will be very weird!

As for the second issue, it sounds like the cursor/matrix functionality is simply not working on your machine--esp if the cursor sample is also not working. Lets check to see if it's a mouse issue--if you use rt:252,253 will DirectRT take a left/right mouse click for input?

The cursor example is not working. When I use rt:252,253 ,DirectRT dose take a left/right mouse click, but I can't see the mouse pointer on the screen (nor if I use the cursor).
    What's weirder is that no answer is being record! Not even under rt:any! The log data file is empty...