Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Range Restriction based on prior response

Range Restriction based on prior response

I'm trying to add in a range parameter that has a maximum range dependent on a value calculated on my responses excel file. I used the parameter r0-<var.name>, however that is not working. I assume that option is not available - is there any workaround that I'm not thinking of?

No, you are not missing anything--creative solution you came up with but no, calculated variables from a responses.xls file can not yet be embedded within the parameter values field. It's a great idea though and I will add it to our to-do list. The only work arounds i can think of would be:
    1. a custom item (let me know if you'd like elaboration there or see the most recent user's guide).
    2. (and I like this better)--multiple versions of the same ranged question--back to back within the same que file--with the different range possibilities, e.g., the first has (r1-1), the second has (r1-2), and so on). You would use your responses.xls variable to *skip* to the appropriate one. Then no matter which range version of the question they get, you have them *skip* past the others to the next question. VoilĂ ! Is that a possibility? Admittedly, a pain (esp if you have many instances of this type of question) but probably much easier than a custom item in this case.
    For more info on the latter work around you might search the users guide for unconditional skipping (as a way to get in and out of a block of questions where only one is administered).

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got one item in my experiment I was hoping to address with this. I decided I'm going to hope that participants do not try to enter a number that is outside the acceptable range. If my experiment weren't already so complicated I might try to apply what you suggested. As it is, I'd rather take the chance until the update is added!

Thanks for the feedback Don. This will be a really nice feature to add for a variety of applications. Best of luck in the mean time.