Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Giving Feedback for Incorrect Audio Response

Giving Feedback for Incorrect Audio Response

I am a user of Direct RT and am trying to do the following using the audio response options. On some trials I want participants to say a response word out loud to be recorded. I know how to program this. On other trials, however, I want them to not say anything. On these latter trials, I would like to be able to detect if they said something by mistake and then give them feedback (presumably using the jump function) that they weren't supposed to say anything. Can you tell me how to do this? Any support is greatly appreciated.

Interesting question, I haven't come across this situation before. I would suggest this (though I've never tried it!). First, for the trials where they are supposed to stay quiet (say, e.g., for 2000ms):

Try setting a min-max value for the trial of 2000-2000! and set the feedback message for overly speedy responses (under Options in the style file) to "i heard that!" or something like that with a display time of 3000ms or something. The ! on the minmax should tell DirectRT to continue automatically after 2000ms regardless of whether or not a response occurred.

On the trial where they should respond, use a different style ID, where the minmax value is 0-2000! thus removing the need to not respond for 2000ms.

Not sure if the min and the max will enjoy being the same value--as I said I haven't tried this and I'm not at a machine right now where I can test it. You might want to delete any feedback message for slow response and the presentation time for that to 0. This might help to avoid DirectRT trying to administer both messages when 2000ms is reached.

Let me know how it goes and if it doesn't work, attach your input file and style file and I'll take a look at them.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-19-2010 at 09:52 AM.