Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Sound files not recorded

Sound files not recorded

Hello,

I am using --rt: aud-- and rt: aud, rec-- but it seems that the record function is not resulting in a recorded sound file. The microphone is on, and the recording check verifies that the sound can be recorded, but when I run the experiment the 'VOICE' folder is empty. Any ideas about why they are not being recorded or where they are going if they are?

Thanks!

Heath

You may need to also specify a length of time for which to record. e.g., rt:aud,rec,1500 to record for 1500ms from trial onset. Or rt:aud,rec,-1000 say to record for 1000ms beyond the moment the RT occurs. Otherwise if the trial continues automatically at the point of the RT, then there is nothing to record. Let me know if that doesn't cover it.

See also: www.empirisoft.com/directrt/help/directrt_samples_of12_voice_rts_.htm

Thanks for the reply!

I've tried this as well but the sound files, if they are being recorded, are still missing. Would they end up in any directory other than the VOICE directory that running the program creates?

Thanks again,

Heath

They should be located within a voice subfolder of the data folder. If you still can't find them there can you attach a sample input file you are using the requests a specific amount of time to be recorded? Also, ensure that the voice subfolder has read/write permissions set to true (i.e., by right clicking on it and selecting properties).

I'm having the same trouble with recording -- no sound files appear.

Your instructions say "You can also request that DirectRT save the incoming sound as a .wav sound file in a folder so you can listen to it later." Hmm.... Yes, but how? The voice folder does appear as a place for output data, but it is always empty. Read / Write privileges are allowed on this folder. I have tried with a stereo mic as well as a mono mic.

The command rt:aud, rec, 5000, clear-1 (and any variation on this) doesn't produce any recording....

I might also add that I have tried ending the trial (*) immediately after the stimulus recording, as well as adding other fields to allow for more time.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by chicagojimmyjames; 03-15-2010 at 02:45 PM.

I'll answer my own question.

rt:aud,rec,5000,clear-1

NO SPACES between the values.

Does this mean the sound files are being saved now--as a function of having no spaces in the syntax?

Yes, that's right. It works when there are no spaces.

Hi all,

Yes this worked for me too!

I two more questions related to this:
    a) There appears to be no way to record a voice response for a period of time but simultaneously make the image disappear as soon as the RT is triggered. Is this correct?

b) During sound check there is a reported 'RT sensitivity'. Is this value related to the actual Db of the voice in any straight forward fashion?

Thank you so much for the replies.
    Heath

Heath,

Glad that worked for you also. As for your other questions... 1. do you mean having an image appear, starting a voice response, and having the image clear from the screen *while* the voice response is occurring? Kind of like the "clear" function works when waiting for a key response?

And 2. The value in the RT sensitivity is not a measure of decibel level although that would be a sensible conversion for us to do (it's just not really doable for a number of reasons). Lower numbers simply mean that the microphone will be set off more easily. Every computer ought to be tested as various hardware factors can influence incoming how loud the computer "perceives" the sound to be.

Clearing an image while waiting for the audio RT?

Hello,

Thanks for your responses again! As for your question....

"1. do you mean having an image appear, starting a voice response, and having the image clear from the screen *while* the voice response is occurring? Kind of like the "clear" function works when waiting for a key response? "

.......Yes. It seems the image has to remain on the screen while the voice is being recorded?

Heath
    Last edited by jarvis24; 03-24-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Have you tried using an "rt:aud,clear1000" kind of approach? e.g., asking to have the screen cleared 1000ms into the audio RT? The "clear" function may not be applicable to audio RTs yet but it'd be worth a try. Otherwise, the only workaround I can think of would be to convert the image to a video/movie/animated gif file that lasts the desired length you are looking for. Show the movie and THEN take the voice RT with the 0ms TIME value delay between. That way the image will simply clear on its own without any help need from DirectRT--it will simply be "done and gone" if the RT has not yet occurred by the time it ends.