Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Problems with direct RT running BMPs

Problems with direct RT running BMPs

I’ve got a problem with direct RT running BMPs in some of my feedback-trials. Instead of the pictures we would like to be presented, direct RT only presents their names (for example “Pig5 <1>”) in half of all feedback trials. This problem does not always affect the same trials, but occurs randomly. I’ve checked my programming several times and can’t find any mistakes, which might cause this. - Does anyone have an idea, what might be going on?

Regards,
    Henja

Yes, I've noticed the same thing! I am using JPG files for picture stimuli. I created the Input file on a computer with Windows Vista, and eerything worked fine. But then when I put the SAME input file on a computer running Windows XP, the pictures did not appear - just this: "<picturefilename>.BMP" on the screen. This is most frustrating. Can anyone help?
    Thanks!

Henja -- was this problem ever resolved?

Anne -- if you could, please send over your stimuli to support <at> empirisoft.com and I'll do my best to quickly convert the images for you to .BMP files.

Our previous versions of DirectRT cannot run .JPG files (only .BMP). A few copies of the DirectRT 2010 beta in its 2008 mode were given the ability to run multiple file-types, which may be the source of the confusion.

At any rate, I would be glad to help in converting your files if you would like!

problem: solved

Quote Originally Posted by newell View Post
    Henja -- was this problem ever resolved?

Anne -- if you could, please send over your stimuli to support <at> empirisoft.com and I'll do my best to quickly convert the images for you to .BMP files.

Our previous versions of DirectRT cannot run .JPG files (only .BMP). A few copies of the DirectRT 2010 beta in its 2008 mode were given the ability to run multiple file-types, which may be the source of the confusion.

At any rate, I would be glad to help in converting your files if you would like!

Hi Newell,

yes, we've solved the problem in the mean time. But as we found out in our case the problem have not been the bmps but rather the empty blue screen we wanted to be presented at first. Direct rt somehow seems to have problems with presenting or even refuses to present bmps after bluescreens. We've replaced the blue screens by some blue bmps. and now it works. Thanks for your help!

Henja

How peculiar - I'm glad you were able to get it to work.

Thanks for the update and information Henja -- it's very much so appreciated!

input files won't run because of BMPs?

When I try to run a .csv file I get an error message before the experiment will even run. The pictures were originally JPEGs but I converted them to 24-bit bitmaps via the Paint application (this is the only BMP type that doesn't change the color of the image) and reduced their size to small document (800 x 600 pixels). I've even tried making the pictures significantly smaller than this and the file still doesn't run. This is the message that I get:

1024 X 768 with 16-bit colour is not supported on this system. The most likely problem is colour depth. If you are requesting 24 or 32 bit colour via 'colour.txt' in your experiment folder, make sure your graphics card supports this (many support one or the other but not both).

Is there a way of getting the file to run without comprimising the integrity of the images' color?

Thank you!

If you are getting that error, chances are it has nothing to do with the images, because DirectRT will not even have looked at them yet. Do you have a style (.drt) file in the same folder with your input file? If so, open it up and see, under Options, what resolution you are set to run at. Then also check to see if your monitor is capable of that resolution. Finally, it might help to check and see if there is a "colour.txt" file in your session folder as well.

See also: http://support.empirisoft.com/showthread.php?t=247