Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Key press feedback: Number 10?

Key press feedback: Number 10?

Hello,
    I have a problem with the 'key press feedback'. In our study, subjects are asked to answer several questions on a scale ranging from 1 to 10. So they type a number between 1 and 10 and this number is displayed as feedback on the screen. For the numbers 1-9 this works, but I would like to ask how subjects can answer with the number 10. When I try to give a 10 as a response, only the 1 is displayed on screen.
    I hope you can help me with this!

Thanks!
    Hanneke

Hi Hanneke - As far as I know, this would only be possible if you chose to either use a jump command with a substitute key, or use an open-ended response as feedback.

An open-ended response can take in many more characters than a single-key RT can; however by using an open-ended response, you run into the problem of the user not inputting the correct information.

If you chose to use a jump command you could tell the user that '0' will actually cause '10' to appear; however doing so requires that a smaller trial interval is used.

I've attached an edited DirectRT sample - take a look at it and let me know if it helps. The first and second trial show how the 'a' can be turned into '1', 'b' turned into '2', etc. A sample that contains open-ended responses should be located in folder 5 of DirectRT's sample folder, under 'open ended responses as stimuli'.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your response! I think a jump command would probably be the best option then. So I could instruct the subjects that a '0' will cause a '10' to appear. However, you wrote that 'doing so requires that a smaller trial interval is used'. I'm affraid I don't quite get what this means. I looked at your example, and tried to make a jump command by adding 0<-10 to my file, but obviously I am doing someting wrong. Could you please help me with this again?

Thanks!
    Hanneke.

After contemplating this issue a bit further, Blair and I thought it may also be beneficial to note that the function keys could potentially act as another solution to this problem.

If you chose to use the function keys F1 - F10, rather than the keys 1 - 0, the same effect could be reached, with much less effort.

-

Of course, using the method previously described can work as well. The smaller trial interval was in reference to the trial interval that your style file uses. The trial interval makes it so that the software 'waits' a certain period of time before displaying the next stimuli for the next trial. More information on this variable can be found here:
    www.empirisoft.com/directrt/help/directrt_trial_interval.htm
    A lower trial interval will cause for the screen to immediately display what it needs to; however less processing time will be given to load stimuli.

In the sample previously attached only trials 1, 2, and 3 are used. Trials 5 - 14 are included to assist trials 1 and 2.

Trial 1 includes the following:
    Code:
    stim: #hobbies1
    loc: 1,350,0
    time: rt:30<-4,48<-5,46<-6,32<-7,18<-8
    The time column denotes that key 30 will jump us to trial 4 immediately, the key 48 will jump us to trial 5 immediately, the key 46 will jump us to trial 6 immediately, the key 32 will jump us to trial 7 immediately, and that key 18 will jump us to trial 8 immediately.

These trials that we tell the software to temporarily jump to contain the same build up; however rather than displaying the feedback, they display a piece of text that we have chosen to have displayed. Trial 2 works in the same way.

Does this make more sense?