Thread: Narcissistic Personality Inventory

Narcissistic Personality Inventory

Raskin & Terry's (1988)

-40-item
    -Forced-choice

(i.e., standard version)
    Attached Files Attached Files

[edited by moderator]
    How do I view and open que files? Or does anyone have this in another format like pdf or word?
    Last edited by jarvis24; 09-19-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Normally, users open and edit these files using the MediaLab Experiment Editor (mxedit.exe). It's free when you install MediaLab, even if you are not licensed to use MediaLab for running studies. However, questionnaire (.que) and experiment (.exp) files are really just little Access database files. If you right click on any questionnaire or experiment file and select Open With, you can choose Microsoft Access if you have it installed (you may have to browse for it). If you do this you may be informed that you can not make changes to database objects. That's ok. You may also be asked if you want to convert the database to a more recent version--just say no, and ask to open the file. Once the file is open in Access, you can double click on Table1 to view or edit the items in the file. This allows you to bypass the MediaLab Experiment Editor completely or you can do some of the work in Access and some of the work in the MediaLab editor. Some people, e.g., like to load their files into Access for heavy copying and pasting jobs, or to use the Access Spell Checker. In your case it sounds like you just want a copy of the items, for which this would also do the trick.

Hope that helps,
    Blair

NPI scoring

I am seeking information on how to score the NPI 40 item version. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Subjects get 1 point each time they select the more narcissistic sounding statement of the pair (40 pairs of statements, so scores can range from 0 to 40; average scores are usually 16-19 for college students). It should be pretty apparent which statements are the narcissistic ones. If you're having trouble, send me an email at foster@usouthal.edu.

Quote Originally Posted by joshfoster View Post
    Raskin & Terry's (1988)

-40-item
    -Forced-choice

(i.e., standard version)
    What program opens this file , Narcissistic personality profile.que

Check out the second or third post above. Let me know if you have any trouble with it or questions.

Slightly confused

Hi, I've just come recently to this site, pursuing an interest in NPI. I have a couple of versions of a 40 point inventory and I don't know which if any would be "official". I can't open the "que" file above. Anyone got it in Word format.
    Also, can anyone dirct me to a site advising on scoring and interpreting the inventory.

Thanks

D Clarkson

The posted format is for use with MediaLab (see www.empirisoft.com/medialab.aspx) software but see above for related comments.

Word document

Here's a copy of the NPI in word format as copied from the .que file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

scoring

hi -- thanks for the translation to the NPI. It sounds like 16-19 is average for college students. Is there anywhere to go (an article or cite) that has more information on norms? thanks.

scoring the NPI

The best explanation of the scoring I could find is on Page 68, and then again at the end of the article: http://ir.lib.sfu.ca/bitstream/1892/.../b14429780.pdf

(the link takes about 20-30 minutes to load since the pdf is so big, so just be patient.)
    Last edited by amc; 10-15-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: update

Npi

Quote Originally Posted by joshfoster View Post
    Raskin & Terry's (1988)

-40-item
    -Forced-choice

(i.e., standard version)
    This file doesn't work...

Can you elaborate on the way in which it does not work for you?

Installation of MediaLab Experiment Editor (mxedit.exe)

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    Normally, users open and edit these files using the MediaLab Experiment Editor (mxedit.exe). It's free when you install MediaLab, even if you are not licensed to use MediaLab for running studies. However, questionnaire (.que) and experiment (.exp) files are really just little Access database files. If you right click on any questionnaire or experiment file and select Open With, you can choose Microsoft Access if you have it installed (you may have to browse for it). If you do this you may be informed that you can not make changes to database objects. That's ok. You may also be asked if you want to convert the database to a more recent version--just say no, and ask to open the file. Once the file is open in Access, you can double click on Table1 to view or edit the items in the file. This allows you to bypass the MediaLab Experiment Editor completely or you can do some of the work in Access and some of the work in the MediaLab editor. Some people, e.g., like to load their files into Access for heavy copying and pasting jobs, or to use the Access Spell Checker. In your case it sounds like you just want a copy of the items, for which this would also do the trick.

Hope that helps,
    Blair
    Hello,
    I am a new user of MediaLab. In your message above, it looks like I can install the MediaLab Experiment Editor without licence. Can you direct me where I can get the Experiment Editor?

Thanks in advance
    Wilson

Hello Wilson,

See the following link:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/download/m...l2008.1.33.exe

Regards,
    Trevor

Dscb

I know this is the NPI thread, but I am unfamiliar with the site to know how to post a question in a different location so forgive me. Does anyone know anything about the Diagnostic Screener for Compulsive Buying? If so, do you know how to access copies of it for an experimental study? Is it available online? Or do I need to order it and pay for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Narcissistic Personality Inventory

Thanks! This will be the first time I am going to try using it.

Thank you, so much, for posting the text version