Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: No values recorded in data file

No values recorded in data file

I'm having trouble finding/accessing data from my experiment. Everything runs smoothly,
    and after a test trial a data folder was created; but, while the variable information
    shows up on SPSS, there are no values! Before I test ran the experiment I got this
    "Not a good thing"

Unable to create or access data folders. If running off of a CD-ROM, specify an
    alternate data folder in Preferences.

Does it have something to do with where my file is saved? Am I missing something here? I
    would greatly appreciate any help!

Out of curiosity, what version of MediaLab are you using?
    What's the exact path that you're referencing for the location where data is output? (ie. C:\My Documents)

This issue could be arising for a variety of reasons. A few likely culprits could be your permissions, the file being already opened, or the path may just be inaccessible.
    It doesn't quite make sense that the headers were written, but the data is not being written.

Are you running the software on Vista?
    Let us know - I'm sure we can figure out what's going wrong here.

[edited from support email]

I think part of the problem was the computer I was using. I could create an experiment but when I ran trial run it wouldn't automatically create a data file (that I could see, I looked everywhere I thought it could be). I'm not entirely sure what version it was, I don't think it was the latest though. But, when I tried it at my university's main computer lab (v.2008), that data file did appear after a test run.

I've since been able to access my data on SPSS, but for some reason the same "not a good thing" error box still appears when I'm running participants. Since everything else seems to be working well (I can access my data, save it, etc) I've been using the experiment for my study. Do you have any thoughts on why this box is appearing and what I could do in future studies? I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the fact the file isn't saved on the hard-drive of the computer...but this is where my computer knowledge grows dim.

On the previous computer, make sure that you have access to write data to the machine. Also make sure that the options window doesn't denote a place to write your data that doesn't exist.
    If you're running your experiment off of unwritable media (ie. a CD) you may need to select the option to use an alternate data folder in the options panel.

I'm not quite sure why the 'Not a good thing' error box is appearing; however if it's not causing problems, it may be ok to simply ignore it. The only solution I could see to remedying the problem would be to reinstall the software there; however I do not think it's needed if further problems aren't being generated.