Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Answer pop up

Answer pop up

Hi,
    Is there any way to show a question's answer right after when people click a response option?
    For example, if there's a question...
    "1+1=?"
    1) 1
    2) 2
    3) 3
    4) 4

then, when respondent click 2) a "correct!" pop up shows and otherwise an "Incorrect!" pop up shows.

Is there any way that I can do that?
    Thanks!

Hm - there's a variety of ways you can accomplish this task; however each method requires a bit more work than most items do.

One of the easier solutions to this problem would require using 'Skips' with the scale response. Information on the default 'Skip' function can be found here:
    http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/queskipto.htm
    If the user selected the correct response, you could skip them to a following trial which would bring them to a screen displaying the text that a correct response would ensue. From here, you could then use the skip function to bring the user to the next question. The same method could be applied if the user responded incorrectly, and was moved to a screen denoting that they had incorrectly responded to the question at hand.

Another, more complex solution, would involve utilizing MediaLab's capabilities to communicate with an excel worksheet while harnessing the power of custom items. More information on both of these areas of functionality can be found here:
    Custom Items - http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...stom_items.htm
    Advanced Features - http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...d_features.htm

The excel worksheet being used could properly store the response that the user gives for each scale response. From here, the trial could use Excel's conditional logic to verify whether or not the value is correct. Next, an excel cell could create a complex skip to a custom item that displayed whether or not the answer provided was correct or incorrect. This custom item could utilize the power of javascript to create a pop-up. Once the pop-up was responded to, the experiment could continue forward. The benefit to using this solution, rather than the one above, is that you would only need one trial after the initial question, rather than two.
    Last edited by Trevor Newell; 10-29-2009 at 09:26 AM.