Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Two Scale Responses in One Screen

Two Scale Responses in One Screen

Hello everyone,

this forum is really helpful.
    I'm trying to use two scales on one question in the format, e.g.

(Phrasing of the question)
    1. No
    2. Yes, and I would invest ...
    • 100 eur
    • 200 eur
    • 300 eur
    so that they reply to yes, no and then the price.

Is there any way to solve this except customizing the scale and working around it with html? cause I'd really like to keep the questionnaire as simple as possible without having to change fonts, appearance of the wording or the radio buttons (and hence sticking to the default fonts of medialab) etc since we plan on testing older people. I already tried a customized item, but it really goes far off the basic medialab layout. We especially like that we could use a number pad for the elderly so they do not have to use a mouse or many different keys. With my quick version of the customized item it looks I'll have to go back to the mouse to mark the answer.

so any ideas are very much appreciated.

anja
    Last edited by social11; 09-16-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Hm. Perhaps instead of having two scales on one screen, you could split the screen up into two different items. Using this method, a variety of new possible options become available.

In one scenario you could ask your question on the first screen, with either Yes or No as selectable options, and from there provide another scale response on the second screen if the user selects 'Yes' within the first screen. The second screen could allow for the 'GoBack' function to properly send the user to the previous question in case they decide that they had accidentally chosen one or the other.

In the second scenario you could provide the user with 'placebo' screens which allow for the software to pretend as though much more is happening than what's taking place. I've attached a sample that does so. Below I've attached images that give more insight as to what I'm talking about.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if I can help in any way. I've attached the sample experiment.
    Attached Files Attached Files