Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Keeping image on-screen for a fixed window

Keeping image on-screen for a fixed window

[edited from support email]

Is it possible to collect response data and maintain stimuli on the screen for a predetermined length of time? I am displaying pictures for either 1 or 3 seconds (and it is necessary that the pictures actually be viewed for that set amount of time), but I would like to obtain a response (yes/no) and a reaction time while the images are being displayed. It's critical that the pictures to be viewed for exactly 1 second or exactly 3 seconds. Is this possible?

See the section in the guide on "min-max" settings, specifically the use of the "full" keyword. e.g., if you have a min-max RT setting of 0-3000 for a given trial, you could simply request your RT like this:
    Code:

RT:53,44,full
    Where full asks DirectRT to keep the stimulus onscreen for the full max value regardless of when the RT occurs.

I am having a similar problem, and I think my problem stems from not knowing where to put the min-max durration.

I am doing an N-back task and I want a letter to stay on the screen for 2 seconds and if no response is made I want to go to the next letter. Of course if a response is made I want to move on.

I tried all permutations of adding min/max duration, clear-1, -1 (see below) and I can’t get it to work perfectly.

0-5000! rt:1,2-1,full,clear-1

i attached the first 2 lines of my program below. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

jason

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jcallaire; 09-07-2007 at 11:17 AM.

nevermind i figured it out =p

May I ask what you figured out? Just in case anyone has a similar problem?

Well the problem is the manual doesn’t tell you were to put the min-max info (at least where I was looking), and if it does then I apologize.

So I figured it out by looking at other programs.

(1) in the styles file I put 0-2000! in the min-max column (that’s where it goes!)

(2) then in the “time” column of my program I have:

rt:1,2,-1,clear-1

This results in showing my stimulus for a max of 2 seconds. If the participant doesn’t respond then the non-response is recorded (-1) and the next stimulus is shown. If the participant responds with in the 2 second window the next stimulus is shown (clear -1).

Now all I need are my button boxes (cough) and I can run this bad boy all day!

jason

Great! Any chance you would be willing to zip and attache a sample of your N-Back task so that others could use it as a starting point for their own?

Jason,

would it be possible for you to upload the complete task? That would be very helpful!

Thanks,
    Rene

Quote Originally Posted by jcallaire View Post
    Well the problem is the manual doesn’t tell you were to put the min-max info (at least where I was looking), and if it does then I apologize.

So I figured it out by looking at other programs.

(1) in the styles file I put 0-2000! in the min-max column (that’s where it goes!)

(2) then in the “time” column of my program I have:

rt:1,2,-1,clear-1

This results in showing my stimulus for a max of 2 seconds. If the participant doesn’t respond then the non-response is recorded (-1) and the next stimulus is shown. If the participant responds with in the 2 second window the next stimulus is shown (clear -1).

Now all I need are my button boxes (cough) and I can run this bad boy all day!

jason
    Using Jason's method I created a 2-back task with 250 numbered stimuli (numbers 1-9). I used the !meta command to end it after 5 minutes. Correct answers are identified by pressing the spacebar (57) when a repeated value is presented or pressing nothing when a filler stimulus is present (-1).

Attached; enjoy!
    Attached Files Attached Files