Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Input file key codes vs. data file Resp?

Input file key codes vs. data file Resp?

Just curious -- the key codes used in input files do not seem to match up with the Resp codes reported in the data files, at least not for numbers. The Name column in the data file provides the actually desired info, so I suppose I should not care. But when I put use a key code of, say, "1" in the time column of my input file, DirectRT correctly responds only to the "1" key (as specified in the Key Codes table), but in my data file the Resp column shows a value of 2. What's up with that?

Call me fussy, but I just don't like it when things don't match up like I expect them to.

Thanks,
    -- David McFarlane, Professional Faultfinder

Hi David,

This seems to be a bug within the DirectRT v2010 beta - thank you for noting it, we've added this error to the buglist.

Regards,
    Trevor
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-25-2009 at 12:21 PM.

For the record, it looks like this bug goes back to at least 2006. Sorry I missed that in my ealier search, I just happened to stumble upon it today searching for other things. See http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=511 (which will in turn direct you to http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=273 for a note on the 2006 bug fix and more).

Just trying to be thorough,
    Last edited by David McFarlane; 06-12-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Added another link.

Thanks David. In response to your post, I re-read one of those old threads (http://www.empirisoft.com/Support/showthread.php?t=511) and modified my last post to read:

Try running the simplified "sampleinput2.csv" input file above. If it works fine but yours does not, then can you tell me if you are using a grid based system (e.g., cursor, touch screen, light gun) at all in your session and what version you are running, i.e., 200x.x.x?
    Just curious to know if it is limited to cases where grid systems are used in the experiment.

Thanks. I gave sampleinput2.csv a try, after I made a couple slight revisions -- it had trouble with style 5, so I changed that to 1; and I do not have sound set up, so I had to delete the columns for sound. After that I ran it with keyboard responses, and as before Resp consistently came out as one more than Name for numeric key inputs in the data file.

Of course, this example does not use any sort of grid system, so it seems we can rule that out. And I am using version 2010.1.101.0. What results do you get with this at your site?

David--when you say you are ruling the grid explanation out--is that for both the 2010 beta and the older versions, or just the beta? I'll ask Trevor to post a note here when the bug is fixed. In the older versions, the bug *should* be limited to input files that utilize grid input.

I am having a similar problem.

Within the log file the "Name" column is correct, however the key-code in the "Resp" column is incorrect; it is lower by one ie. name=6 resp=5.

The smaller data file is correct however, both the resp and name columns match correctly.

-With our input file - responses are keys two through 8.
    -The problem is identical for both the DirectIN response box (9 button), and our standard keyboard.
    -we are using the Version 2008.1.0.13

I can live with this problem, but I absolutely need to know if this bug is consistent, or if that can not be guaranteed.

I've attached the input and 2 output files. The output files only record the first few trials, but that's all that should be needed.

Thank you,

Tim
    Attached Files Attached Files