Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Greek, Hebrew and Other Foreign Fonts

Greek, Hebrew and Other Foreign Fonts

[edited from support email]

Does DirectRT support Hebrew, Greek and other foreign fonts?

Short answer is no, but we are working on this for the next version (which will read native .XLS files without having to use the .CSV file format as a g-between). As a workaround I know some users create foreign font text in some other program like Excel, take a screen capture shot by pressing the PrintScreen key on their keyboard and pasting it into a graphics editor to crop and save the text as .bmp format image files. It's certainly takes more time than using straight text, but it definitely works. Many image editors will also allow you to create and save text directly as .bmp image files. If anyone has a suggestion for which freeware or shareware programs do this especially well with foreign fonts, please post a response here to let us know.

Let me update that with one last thought. I currently added a beta-feature for the 2008 version. This feature adds HTML to the list of stimuli that can be presented in DirectRT. This would certainly allow you to present foreign fonts--if it can display on Internet Explorer on your machine then it should work in DirectRT. Two drawbacks--it's not been widely tested (as of today June 13, 2006) and I don't know yet if there will be some small increase in display latency. It should be fine, but I just can't say for sure yet. If anyone wants to test it or play with it, let me know.

-Blair