Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: mp4 plays with sound in other players but not MediaLab despite 3ivx

mp4 plays with sound in other players but not MediaLab despite 3ivx

Despite having the 3ivx codec installed (and several others in an attempt to identify the problem) we are still getting only video without audio for our mp4 in MediaLab with no accompanying error message. QuickTime and VideoLan play the mp4 fin (with sound), but Windows Media Player also does not play the sound and gives the error message "unable to download an appropriate decompressor." The "enhahanced video" toggle in MediaLab seems to make no difference. We have tried uninstall/reinstall of several different codecs, including multiple reboots between each attempt.

I'm assuming since MediaLab uses WMP and the video works on the players that the problem is with MediaLab or WMP settings. Any idea where to look next?

Yes, MediaLab uses the WMP to play videos so if WMP won't play them correctly, then neither will MediaLab. One option is to embed the video as QuickTime in some HTML--do you know how to do that?

embedded, will test but concerned about auto-sizing

I have embedded the mp4s and will test them out tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned whether the screen-fill autosizing will work in this format, but will report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

embedded video does not fix, introduces new problems

I can get the .html embedded video to play (both independently and in MediaLab) with sound, but cannot resize the movie. The embedding also takes a moment to load, which I would really prefer not to have as it looks poorly put together. I haven't tested to see if the triggers will still even work with the item listed as .html instead of movie in the editor. Is there any other workaround to run mp4 through MediaLab? Any utility in uninstalling/reinstalling Medialab after the codecs and players are installed (we did it in reverse this time, with MediaLab in before those)?

clarification on embedded .html attempt

I used the Scale="ToFit" option for full screen, which worked fine with provided width and height parameters in IE, it's only in MediaLab that the sizing does not work. Deleting or adjusting the size within the parameters of MediaLab has no effect. So basically, all that will play in the embedded video format is the movie in the size in which it was originally recorded, which was actually a bit small.

I assume that editing/resizing the original video will be helpful and will do that next (the software is just a pain to access for me or I would have tried sooner), but I would still strongly prefer a working-codec solution if one is available. Thank you for the help.

Unexpected solution found

I UNinstalled the codec 3ivx and now it works as before. Bizarre. There are no other 3ivx copies on board, so I'm assuming WMP is using one of the other 3 codecs I tried installing when the problem first occurred.

I'm glad just to have it running again, but am curious what might have gone wrong. If anyone has better theories than I (who have none) I would be very interested to learn so I can avoid/fix this in the future.