Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Timing of Joystick RTs

Timing of Joystick RTs

[edited from support email]

I'm trying to do some approach-avoidance experiment using joystick, and I want DirectRT to record reaction time the moment the joystick is pushed/pulled toward the end. Right now the way DirectRT works is that it recorded RTs as soon as the joystick moved more than half of it's range in the defined directions. Is there any way to tell DirectRT to take the RT at the moment it's first moved?

Also, does DirectRT support non-usb joysticks? Would it be more accurate for recording RTs using a usb joystick?

You might want to check out the "continuous" joystick recording function (see guide). This will track the moment to moment position of the joystick on each trial. See also: http://empirisoft.com/support/showthread.php?t=42 re v2006.1.22.

We can't have discreet RTs taken as a function of first motion because there is a certain degree of motion in most joysticks if they are being held--even if the user intends no motion to occur. We set the criterion as it is because it tends to eliminate false alarms without causing missed responses or adding any kind of systematic error to the measurements.

Update August 3, 2006

Until v2006, you could monitor the motion of a joystick for a specified period of time (e.g., RT:JOY2000) and you could measure a discrete response time with a joystick (RT:JOY), but you couldn't do both--at least not at the same time. As of v2006, you can--simply indicate the number of milliseconds you want to monitor as a negative value such as RT:JOY-2000. This will tell DirectRT that you are taking a discrete RT but that you want it to also record any motion activity for up 2000ms.

can I do this and use the defined response ares (e.g. 251,244,245)?

One More thing...
    Are there any Joysticks faster than 10ms? (I know there are 1ms mice marketed towards gamers, but have not seen Joysticks faster than 10ms)
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lncs View Post
    can I do this and use the defined response areas (e.g. 251,244,245)?
    any information about the ability to record a defined response area and get x&y polling info for a set amount of time (eg. 2000ms).