Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Row 2 requests style code 0, which does not exist ...

Row 2 requests style code 0, which does not exist ...

I'm receiving an error (Row 2 requests style code 0, which does not exist in the style file (.drt) for this session) when I attempt to run a DirectRT input file, which I've attached. I've already read the thread pertaining to this error, and errors like it, to no avail. I don't believe there are any characters beyond the row terminators, I'm not actually requesting style code 0, and I'm using English (United States) regional settings. I'm getting this error across a number of similar programs, across a number of systems running DirectRT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

How many stimuli are you trying to fit into the first trial?

225 to 230 distinct image (.bmp) files. Why, is there a limit?

99, I think. But you can spread them out across trials for more.

That's fine, although it may create an issue, which hopefully is surmountable. I'll need to run the trials back-to-back within a MediaLab experiment. I recall from reading the manual that this is not advisable. What adverse outcomes might I expect from taking this approach?

I don't recall reading in the manual that there is a 99 stimuli upper-limit in DirectRT input files. Perhaps I missed it, or simply don't recall. If it's not in the manual though, it might be nice for end-users if you were to add it.

I'm looking forward to your response.

You're right, it doesn't seem to be in there--strange that hasn;t come up before because I think it was added in v2004 (it used to be 20 stimuli per trial limit before that!).

May I ask why you want these to be all on the same trial? Note that back-to-back trials within a DirectRT session is just fine. It's running back-to-back sessions (or input files) without an intervening item (like an MediaLab instruction screen) that can acause trouble. A bunch of DirectRT sessions with 500 trials a piece could be scattered about your MediaLab questionnaires, no problem.

Row 2 requests style code 0

HI,
    I've had this error message come up several times due to different or sometimes invisible problems.
    Most recently the problem was due to a missing ! before one of the independent variable headings.
    For invisible errors, Sometimes just copying the program script onto a new excel sheet and resaving it does the trick. (Using select all even!) I don't know why, but this has worked for me MANY times.

Lori Altmann
    University of Florida

Hi there,

I am currently receiving a message very similar to this one, saying "Row 3 requests style code 0, which does not exist", but I have no idea why it is saying that since row 3 does not have a style code of 0. I tried copying and pasting into another file, but I got the same message. I have 63 stimuli, so I don't think that is too much.

Any suggestions on what to do?

-Nadia

Hmm - if you would like Nadia, I can try taking a look at your input file and checking it to see if I notice anything that could be wrong with it.

Simply attach it to a post and I'll promptly let you know what I find.

Here it is. I am trying to creat a Stroop Task experiment.
    Thank you,
    Nadia

Hi again,

I was wondering if you were able to find anything wrong?

Thanks,
    Nadia

(Sorry for the delay)

After investigating your input file, I'm left to think that the column labeled '!Colour' may be the culprit as to why the error is arising. When the software parses through this field it doesn't notice that a null value is located in each field within this column. If you could, try removing this field, adding a value into each, or try running the revised version of your file that I've attached. Unfortunately, a few of DirectRT's errors have misleading error processing data. In this situation, the style file has nothing to do with what is occurring.

Often times errors like this occur when DirectRT runs into a problem while trying to parse and understand the experiment's run data. Once the software can read the file, the error will go away.