Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: creating multiple fill-in-the-blank question that links to subsequent questions

creating multiple fill-in-the-blank question that links to subsequent questions

Hi. I am trying to a structure a questionnaire that asks participants to list multiple items on one page, and then asked follow up questions about the answers they provided. For example, we ask participants to "list up to 5 goals" and then ask multiple questions about each individual goal. I believe that a custom or html would be the best option for this, but I'm not very clear on how to structure it so that participants who only fill in 3 answers will only be asked about these three items for the follow up questions. Also, we'd like to make it so that the text that the participants entered is used in the follow up questions (ie. if they enter "be a good person", subsequent questions would say: "Think about your goal to: be a good person. How important is this goal?" etc.). I've included a word document that shows how we structure it on paper. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! I am not very familiar with html, so it has been quite a struggle to work it out. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Easiest way to do this would probably be with regular fill in the blanks using variable names such as goal1, goal2, etc.. You can then ask your subsequent questions inserting the variable name like:

Think about your goal to: <goal1>. How important is this goal?"

If you have a fixed number of goals this is all you have to do. If you want to allow for a range of goals (e.g., 1-5) then you can do that but it gets a bit trickier because you need to skip subsequent sections if the subject cant list five goals. Let me know if that's important and I can guide you in how to do that also.

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was originally thinking as well. But, the difficult part is allowing for a range of options (i.e. 1-5) and that's what I was hoping to be able to do. I figure I could always put in questions between each goal that skips out if they don't have additional goals. For example, ask "Do you have another goal" with a skip out if they say no before each additional goal. Ideally I would not do this, as I think that we might get less information if we allow them to skip out. Anyway, if you have a more sophisticated way of doing this it would be much appreciated! Thanks again!

OK, have you ever used a "responses.xls" file? If not, check out the advanced features in the users guide. Once you have a gist of that let me know and I'll outline how you can do this using those functions.