Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Skip to questionnaires

Skip to questionnaires

I'm setting up an experiment in which I ask participants which of five automatic thoughts they find most distressing (they choose one). Based on what response they make, I want a corresponding questionnaire to be displayed, but I've run into a snag. When I add the five questionnaires to the experiment file I have to indicate the position number in which it will be displayed. My first thought was to assign all of the questionnaires the same position number and use the response.xls file to differentiate and select the appropriate questionnaire to present using conditional logic =IF(B14=1, "questionnaire1.que", IF(B14=2, "questionnaire2.que)). However,this doesn't work. All the questionnaires are presented opposed to just the one that is necessary based on the response given. I'm certainly not computer savy so any help in either writing better logic, or trying this from a different approach would be greatly appreciated.

You could have each response to your test item skip to the first question in the appropriate questionnaire (e.g., a simple instruction item named ques1, ques2, ques3, etc.) Then, at the end of the experiment, you could add a single item questionnaire. You could have the last item in each of the other questionnaires skip to THAT item when they are done. That way your participants see only one of the five questionnaires. The others are all skipped over. Does that make sense?

I thought that I had a pretty good understanding of what you meant, but I'm still having problems. As I mentioned, when I prompt for a participant to select the "most distressing thought," I want to have a set of instructions for a cognitive restructuring exercise to be displayed. Instead of having different questionnaire files for each of the responses, I made a single questionnaire file and tried to make it to where, based on the response given, the experiment skipped to the corresponding set of instructions within that single questionnaire file, when done with that particular set of instructions, the experiment is set to skip to the debriefing file. I named the instructions slides b1-b22, but I'm running into the same type of problem that I was having before. I'm having trouble getting the computer to pull up the right set of instructions based on the response given (all of the responses take me to b1, instead of skipping to another subset of instructions within the questionnaire file-I'm not sure if that makes sense...) In other words, no matter what response I choose within the experiment, the cognitive restructuring instructions for the thought "I am a bad person" pops up; the one that I named b1- it should skip down to b12 and start a different set of instructions from there. This is especially confusing considering the fact that I'm having no problem having the experiment skip to the debriefing statement when the instructions are done. I've tried different variations in Excel's logic, because I thought that I might have the spacing off, or something to that effect, but nothing's worked. I tried naming the instructions for each restructuring exercise with a different first letter as well (b1, for "bad person", s1 for a restructuring exercise dealing with thoughts of selfishness). I'm running out of ideas, and I'm behind on this work. I'm not sure what else to do.
    Thanks for your help.

Can you zip and post your exp and que files?

zip file

Here's the zip file with my entire experiment in it.
    The que file called control is fine, the one called actint.que has the slide with the responses that should create the skips, I want the responses here to bring up specific items in the questbad.que file; response 1 should skip to b1, and response 2 should skip to s12 within that file. At the end of each of those sets of slides, I want the program to skip to a debrief form (I just called this db) and not show any other sets of instructions from the questbad file. The questself file is an extra file. There are five possible responses, but I only set up two sets of cognitive restructoring, because I was trying to figure out how to get this programming done.
    Thanks for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I was actually talking to my supervisor, and he noted that if I ask the question "which of these statements did you find most distressing" I could get a different answer than what they actually rated as most distressing. Is there a way to take the highest rated comment and have that skip to the correlating cognitive restructuring exercises, that way I don't have to include the last slide? Sorry about the confusion.
    Thanks

It seems like what you might need is some conditional logic behind the skip for response14. I've created a illustration of such logic in the attached responses.xls file. Try entering different values in the responses.xls file for response14 and see how the skip value changes from q1 to q5. You could of course substitute different variable names instead of q1 to q5. See if it makes and sense and let me know if you have any trouble with it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you for your help with regard to the skip patterns. I also have some questions about calculated scores. I'm trying to have Medialab automatically choose the highest rated thought automatically during a particular condition, and then present that thought as stimuli at a later on. I've looked at the manual but can't quite figure it out.
    Additionally, how would you apply a sound to indicate the presentation of a new instruction screen, is that possible?
    Again, thank you. I appreciate all of the help.

The sound could be accomplished using a backsound (see user's guide or online here: http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/h...ebacksound.htm).

As for determining the highest rated thought that, again, would have to be accomplished using Excel's conditional logic. Are you having any luck with that? Excel has some pretty good documentation on it (just search for if, then, etc. in Excel's help).

It's actually been a while since I've been able to work on this project. I did make some progress will excel's logic, but I had another question that maybe you could help me address. In my experiement I have five different sets of instructions all within one file, out of the first ten scale responses, the odd numbers will dictate which of these sets of instructions the participant skips to. I was able to have excel determine the variable with the highest rating by using a helper table.
    I was wondering if there was a way to assign the variable names numeric values that are indepdent of the ratings the participants endorse during the experiment. In other words, when I look at the variables "respon3, respon5, respon7, respon9, respon11" and excel figures out that respon7 is the highest, is there a way to have those responses assigned numeric values 1-5 so that I can use a logic formula similar to this one:
    =IF(B13=1,"Q1",IF(B13=2,"Q2",IF(B13=3,"Q3",IF(B13= 4,"Q4",IF(B13=5,"Q5")))))