Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: monitor settings

monitor settings

Hi,

I have a question about monitor settings. My monitors can only reach a hertz rating of 85, resulting in subliminal stimuli no faster than 12ms. When I go to my monitor settings, below the screen refresh rate is a checked box that says, "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display. Clearing this check box allows you to select display modes that this monitor cannot display correctly. This may lead to an unusable display and/or damaged hardware." If I uncheck this box, hertz ratings higher than 85 appear. Will this really fry my monitor, as the warning threatens? Has anyone ever tried this?

No, never tried it. Probably wouldn't be a risk worth taking. As far as I know, it's pretty cut and dry as to which refresh rates are supported by any given monitor. And if you could squeak any more out of it that what is listed, I would highly doubt it you could achieve an increase that would really help your display times (e.g., a jump from 85 to 120 and sort forth). Do try using lower screen resolutions though. On many monitors, the refresh rate limit is an inverse function of the screen resolution. e.g., set your display to 800x600 and see if you get more options for the refresh rate. If you discover anything useful please let us know!

ps., Of course, you can also get a faster monitor. I understand 120hz LCDs are coming out now which would get you down to around 8.3ms display times.

Hope that helps,
    Blair