Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Joystick Choice under DirectRT

Joystick Choice under DirectRT

[edited from support email:]

I am getting ready to use DirectRT in conjunction with a joystick. Basically, we want to measure the speed with which participants pull the joystick towards or away from themselves in response to certain stimuli. I haven’t purchased a joystick yet, and I was wondering if there were any guidelines for buying a joystick that will interface with DirectRT?

A colleague told me that he uses a Logitech Wingman joystick with DirectRT to measure response times (in fact, we are borrowing his DirectRT program), but Logitech doesn’t seem to make that version anymore. Some of the newer versions have lots of buttons or are wireless. Will a wireless joystick be able to measure RTs with the same precision? Will extra buttons be problematic?

Quote Originally Posted by JEC View Post
    [edited from support email:]

I am getting ready to use DirectRT in conjunction with a joystick. Basically, we want to measure the speed with which participants pull the joystick towards or away from themselves in response to certain stimuli. I haven’t purchased a joystick yet, and I was wondering if there were any guidelines for buying a joystick that will interface with DirectRT?

A colleague told me that he uses a Logitech Wingman joystick with DirectRT to measure response times (in fact, we are borrowing his DirectRT program), but Logitech doesn’t seem to make that version anymore. Some of the newer versions have lots of buttons or are wireless. Will a wireless joystick be able to measure RTs with the same precision? Will extra buttons be problematic?

A wireless link will introduce some small amount of timing error and/or latency in your system. It's probably not a specification that the manufacturer would publish, either.

It would be possible, but not easy, to test the timing parameters of such a system.

Extra buttons shouldn't be a problem. I'd recommend something a basic joystick to start with. You won't need 'force feedback' or some of the other features designed for gamers. Unfortunately, I don't have any current make or model numbers to suggest.

John

So JEC which joystick model did you end up having?

Our lab plan to buy a new joystick as well. It'll primary be used for a joystick approach-avoidance task. Since your post is on 2008, I suspect that you would have purchased it by now. I wonder which model did you end up having? Does it work well with DirectRT?

I'm thinking about
    1 Logitech Force 3D Pro Joystick
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Force...xp_grid_pt_1_0
    2 CH products USB Combatstick
    http://www.amazon.com/CH-Products-Co...p_ob_e_title_3

From the rating in Amazon. the CH product one seems to be more reliable than the Logitech one. What do you think? I am also open to any other brand.

Thank you so much

Either one would probably be fine.