Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: rt timing

rt timing

Hey quick question about combining rt with timing events

im using alot of these statements
    rt:any,1000

I think this means any keypress before 1000ms elapses will trigger the next event in the trial or 1000ms elapses and this will trigger the next event

im sure this worked originally but at the moment this event never changes until a keypress the 1000ms bit isnt activating

what would be the correct way to have it wait 1000ms or until a keypress please

thx sorry for newbie question heh

No problem with newbie questions. Check out the section in the user's guide on style (.drt) files and min-max settings. If you use rt:any and a min-max value of 0-1000! in your style file, you ought to start seeing the results you are looking for. Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

Hey im having a small problem with this again in a seperate experiment

Im trying to display a series of images at 40ms intervals in the same trial(same line in the excel document)
    i want to be able to cancel out of the sequence if a button is pressed otherwise display all the images

im using rt:57,-1 as the time field
    the minmax settings is 0-40!

at the moment the images all display as they should but i cant cancel out of the sequence early

is there a way to make the images display for 40ms each but cancel out of the trial when a button is pressed please?

Try rt:any>-n (when n is the number of the next trial, e.g., rt:any>-23 to immediately jump to trial 23) after each image rather than rt:-1. Or you could use a specific keycode if there is one you want to use. e.g., rt:57 to use the spacebar to cancel out.

What duindain was asking...but ..

Exactly, so in my experiment what I want is:

Hitting spacebar is correct, hitting nothing is incorrect, but for the spacebar to be correct - it has to be hit within 500 ms of stimulus presentation (pretty much at the time the stimulus is presented).
    Similiar to duindain - the next stimulus in the trial only comes up if the participant hits the spacebar key. Doing nothing doesn't advanced the stimulus to the next one within the same trial.

Can someone help? Can you show me exactly what I should type in to the 'time' box? Right now, I have rt: 57,-1 but I don't know how to set 57 for 500 ms.

the first post by jarvis explains how to have the event display for the correct time just set the max setting for minmax to 500 in the style
    i think you need
    0-500!
    in the minmax colomn on the far right when u open the style

thankyou jarvis the >- jumping did what i needed

Still kinda confused.

Doing an n-back task.

For where there is no, n-back:If the participant does nothing that is correct, if the participant hits spacebar, that is incorrect.

For where there is an n-back: If the participant hits spacebar that is correct, if the participant hits nothing, that is incorrect.

For both of these, there is a limit of 500 ms to make a decision.
    People keep talking about the max min thing. I don't understand. This is all new to me.

Ok, so I need help like this -
    Stim ; Loc ;Time ; Stim ;Loc ;Time
    ~4 0,0,1 rt:57,-1 ~4 0,0,1 rt:57,-1

The above only goes to the next number (within the same trial) when the spacebar is hit. But I'm trying to give it two options, to go to the next number when the spacebar is hit or when nothing is hit for 500 ms.

Similarily if I put rt:-1,57 in the time colum, then it goes immediately to the next number. I'm so so confused.

I know Jarvis24 is such a helpful person. I'm just blah at this. Whenever I have rt:57,-1 it doesn't go on to the next thing unless I press spacebar. I want it to go on even if I don't press it provided I don't press it within 500 ms. However when I do rt:57,-1 it doesn't do anything unless I press spacebar. Isn't ',' supposed to represent OR?
    Last edited by scienceisbeauty; 05-28-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Take a look in the samples folder--C:\DirectRT\samples\6 v2006\gnat. That sample might help you with what you are looking for--that is, creating a fixed window with a spacebar/no spacebar situation. You maybe just need to use a min-max value of 0-500 in your situation. The gnat sample is also documented in the user's guide and online here:

http://www.empirisoft.com/directrt/h...e_as_valid.htm

Let me know if that still doesn't help.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 05-28-2008 at 12:04 PM.

I'm asking a question using a text file #nameoftextfilethathasquestion, then there are 5 response options. I want the person to choose 1 of those so they should answer with 1,2,3,4, or 5.

Is writing rt:1,2,3,4,5 in the 'time column' the correct way to give them those options, because it doesn't seem to work. Only pressing 1 advances to the next screen.
    Yes, that should work, unless you are using the number pad keys which require different codes, I believe.

they are responding to a question that asks what percent did you get on the test.
    what do I write after rt: so that participants can respond btwn 0 - 100 ?

as in, they could enter 40, 50, 99 or whatever number they want between 0 - 100 . How do I put this option in?
    You can use rt:text for responses that require more than a single character. See open ended responses in the users guide for more detail.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 06-14-2008 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jarvis24 View Post
    Take a look in the samples folder--C:\DirectRT\samples\6 v2006\gnat. That sample might help you with what you are looking for--that is, creating a fixed window with a spacebar/no spacebar situation. You maybe just need to use a min-max value of 0-500 in your situation. The gnat sample is also documented in the user's guide and online here:

http://www.empirisoft.com/directrt/h...e_as_valid.htm

Let me know if that still doesn't help.
    This helps. I'm not sure I'm doing it correctly tho....hmmmm