Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Self-paced timing with maximum time?

Self-paced timing with maximum time?

[edited from support email]
    I have a question regarding MediaLab. Specifically, I am trying to display a series of statements to be learned and I am using the "Instructions" option to do so. I want my participants to be able to read them for no longer than 10 seconds (so I am using the "d" parameter) however, I do want them to be able to press enter as soon as they are finished in order to move on the the next statement (mainly because I want to be able to record the amount of time that they spend reading the statement). Is there a way to both have a maximum time that the text is shown AND to allow them to self pace? Thanks for your time.

One way to do this would be to create a separate questionnaire for each of these items. Then set a time limit for the questionnaire using a duration parameter when you list the que file in the experiment file.

Or another solution..

You could use essay items instead of instruction items for presenting your info. Use the duration parameter of d10 and move the essay text area off screen by using a top parameter like (t1000,d10). The question wording would be like using an instruction item but it would give you the option of telling subjects they can press ESC to quit the item if they are done reading before the time limit.