Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: 99 as values for variables that should not be missing values?

Before, some of my data was recorded correctly, but other parts were recorded as 99 (at least for all my fill-in-the-blank and essay data; I can't remember for sure if my scale response data is also being recorded as the missing value). I've run normal sessions without aborting them early, and have tried it with and without "Write as Text" checked. Help??
    Last edited by jarvis24; 03-25-2008 at 10:00 AM.

I have the similar problem,too!

[edited by moderator]

I'm using MediaLab v.2004 and I'm having similar problem of missing data. My .exp file have four conditions(4 different orders of the questionnairs), and in each condition there are 6 questionnaires in the fixed order, finally in each questionnaire there are 100 items (random order) in four blocks (fixed order of block).

But when I run my experiment at any one of the four conditions, some time the program just could not finish all the items in one questionnaire (random questionnaire, but not a specific one every time), and then the rest of the items in that questionnaire were skipped which were recorded as 99 default number in the data file. I could not figure what the problem is, since it happens randomly by questionnaire and randomly started to skip from a item. Some time, the program went pretty well, but some other times the data was just missing. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 03-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.

If items are being skipped then it makes sense that you would see 99's as that is the default value for missing values and skipped items. It sounds like you are not expecting any (or some) of these items to be skipped though. If that's the case, please attach or email us a copy of your experiment folder--complete with the exp, que and data folder and I'll check it out. Be sure to zip the folder before attaching it (as opposed to attaching several separate files).

Same Problem with 99's

I have had the same problem with 99's showing up in my data but my answers still turn up, the 99's are just before my true answers. I have tried changing my parameters but only numbers larger than the actual ammount of variables in the html work, and I haven't pinpointed one parameter number that works. Also my fill in the blank questions are not showing up at all. Any help would be great, I think I have tried tweaking this and read the users guide a million times!

First thing I always suggest is to clear your data folder and see if the same thing happens. Ok, actually, the first thing I always suggest is to read the data FAQ here: http://www.empirisoft.com/medialab/help/data_faq.htm

But it sounds like you have done that. In that case, let's troubleshoot. First, off can you get this result if you run the questionnaire alone (i.e., without running it through an experiment file)? If so, please send me or post a copy of the .que file. I'll try running it here and see if I can replicate the result--if I can, then I can probably figure out what's causing the missing values.