Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Stimulus File Crashes Every Comptuer but One

Stimulus File Crashes Every Comptuer but One

Hi there,

I've been working on troubleshooting this problem and have nearly hit a dead end:

We have two different desktops running DirectRt version 2004.3.0.27, and one laptop running 2006.2.0.28 (laptop is a Dell inspiron E1405: Core2Duo 1.83ghz, 1gb of RAM, Integrated Intel 945 Express graphics chipset, running XP Media Center SP2). The stimulus file in question is 165 lines (127 of which are 4-5 second video clips) and while it runs perfeclty on the laptop in version 2006, it will crash about 85% the way through on any other computer.

Things we've tested so far: upgraded another laptop (Dell Latitude D610, Mobility Radeon X300, PentiumM 2.13ghz, XP Pro SP2) to a test version of 2008, the same crash applied. With the desktop running version 2004 I've altered, tested, and upgraded all possible DirectX issues including hardware acceleration. Upgraded, uninstalled and reinstalled graphics and sound drivers, as well as testing with the integrated graphics chip instead of the add on card used primarily (the desktop is a Pentium 4 3.2 ghz system running XP Pro SP2, with 2gigs RAM and a Radeon X600 with 256mb RAM installed).

All other stimulus files run on all computers, and since this particular stimulus file runs on the laptop, there doesn't seem to be a problem with the stimulus file itself. I assumed that if this was a simple version issue 2008 would be able to handle the file without any problem, but again have butted up against this. Any thoughts?

~Michael

The odd thing is that it crashes 85% of the way through. Are these trials randomized? If so, that would eliminate a particular stimulus as being problemmatic and points more towards a resource issue. If you look at the data files on the crash machines, are you getting data or are they blank files? Also, check the exact version of the Windows Media PLayer that is running on these machines--I'd just be curious to know if the working machine has an older version maybe. Finally, can you describe the typical crash in any detail?