Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Complex skips BETWEEN questionnaires

Complex skips BETWEEN questionnaires

I have two questions.
    1) Is it possible to do complex skips BETWEEN questionnaires?
    2) Is it possible to use answers from previous questionnaires as a
    guide to skip questions on later questionnaires?

I have no trouble with skips within questionnaires, but when
    attempting skips between questionnaires i find that the program does
    not recognize the command from the responses file (skip function doesn't work).

Any help that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Should be able to do both. The responses.xls file doesn't care where the variables come from (i.e., which questionnaire). Can you zip and send me (support@....com) or post your experiment? I will take a look at it.

I'm realizing that right now I can't (don't know how) to do a simple skip between questionnaires. I have attached a zip folder with three questionaires and the experimental file. I've attempted to code it so that all answers to the second question on the first questionaire ("q2") will skip to the second question on the third questionaire ("q8"). Right now it will just skip to the first question of the second questionaire.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated - thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have to say I'm really surprised by this. You are totally right--ML resets the skipto value at the start of each questionnaire. I would hesitate to change this though because there may be many experiments out there that count on the fact that this is the way it has always worked. It must simply be the case that in testing, we were never looking at skipto values across different questionnaires.

So long story short--I don't know what to say. I'm wondering if a fix/work around could involve using a responses.xls file. You could add a blank instruction item at the beginning of each questionnaire--each using a automatic duration value of (d1) so you don't even notice it's there. Using the responses.xls file you could assign a skipto value to that first item based on any prior response (or collection of responses) to any prior questionnaire(s). Kind of a pain to bring in the Advanced Features like that if you weren't planning on it. Not too bad though if you have some familiarity with that functionality.

In any case, thank you for bringing this to our attention. And thank you for the great test sample you attached that demonstrated the issue immediately.

Complex skips BETWEEN questionnaires - occurs too soon

Hi

I don't mind if skipping between questionnaires points to the first field of the questionnaire - in fact I have designed my experiment so that each skip between questionnaires is pointing to the first variable of the next questionnaire.

My problem is that the skipping is actually taking place BEFORE the position of the condition with the skipto value is reached. For example, I have an HTML item in position 23 in A.que with variable name cond_1. In the responses.xls I calculate the skipto value of cond_1 on the values of the variables from postions 1 to 22 of the A.que. However, I only see the first question of A.que and it then jumps to B.que, which is the default skipto value of cond_1. I have made sure that cond_1 in A.que appears after all the variables I need to calculate its skipto value. Also, in responses.xls, cond_1 appears after the variables its skipto value is based on.

Any ideas? Can I actually create a condition for skipping between questionnaires like that?

Thanks!

Complex skips BETWEEN questionnaires - works fine!

Sorry but I just discovered that the skipping ahead of time was my fault (had some wrong skipto values in positions 1-22 within the A.que). However, it does not work (see next post).
    Last edited by stagarz; 07-28-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Complex skips BETWEEN questionnaires - not working!

Actually, it does not work and I now realise it never did. It skips all reamining questions of A.que but just goes to the beginning of the next .que as they appear in the .exp file.

The only solution I can think of is to aggregate all my questionnaires into one and create a very long .que file and use the skipto within it

Can you post your que and xls files?

I have now changed my experiment files but I created and attach a simple example. No matter what I choose in a_q1 I always go to b_welcome (instead of b_q1 or c_q1).

I'm getting a message that the zip file is corrupt. Any chance you can re-zip and re-attach? Or send it directly to support@...com with a link to this thread.

Ok, that should work.