Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Collecting Single or multiple response

Collecting Single or multiple response

Hi,
    In my experiment I am presenting some trials with dual tasks, where one task is visual and the other auditory. The auditory task has fairly continuous keyboard pressing (every sec), and takes place until the a different key is press (signaling the end of the visual task). I want to record RT data for both key presses (with a "full' time maxing on the auditory task and have skipping options with the visual one). Is there any way to collect data for both tasks and key presses? I would need the program to allow the option of either one (for the auditory task) or two (for both the auditory & visual tasks) key presses.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by jarvis24; 02-12-2008 at 04:29 AM.

What have you tried so far?

What are my options?

I did not see anything in the manual that would address such a situation.
    1) Using the rt1 text file is not helpful since it ALWAYS requires the double response, and will not move on with a single response.
    2) Accepting that I will loose a single trial (i.e. assuming that the visual response is the first response for a stimuli) and having it "jump" when the second option is pressed did not work.

I need to collect responses to an auditory tone (one of the following options: 50,51,52,53, full) presented every 1000msec for 32 sec, yet when a decision is made regarding a visual stimuli ( one of the following options: 60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,87,88) that will jump the particpant from that trial to the next one (with a brief pause in between).
    Please tell me how to arrange such a trial.

I'm not clear on exactly what you mean by this:
    The auditory task has fairly continuous keyboard pressing (every sec), and takes place until the a different key is press (signaling the end of the visual task).
    As far as I can understand they are tapping at a rate of 1 time per second to auditory tones and then have to react to a visual stimulus when it appears. Is that correct? If so, is the screen simply blank during the initial tone tapping phase?

Actually no.
    The visual stimuli is presented and on the screen during the tapping phase.
    Participants would see a problem on the screen (visual stimuli) and finger tap to tones until they make a decision regarding the visual problem on the screen.
    They would press on a key to indicate that the answer to the visual problem (60,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,87,88) any time during the 32 seconds of finger tapping. Answering the problem would then "jump" the participant from the rest of the finger tapping to that visual problem to start the next visual problem and tapping again.
    I want to record both the keyboardpresses for the visual problem and that for for the tapping. While the keyboard press for the visual problem would "jump" participants after they solved the problem.
    Please help.

If I understand correctly, you could present the image as the first stimulus and for a time value of 0ms. Then present the 32 sound stimuli on the same trial, each with the time value:

rt:50,51,52,53,60>-2,61>-2,62>-2,63>-2,64>-2,65>-2,66>-2,67>-2,68>-2,87>-2,88>-2

And where the min-max value for the style of the trial is 0-1000! so that if no response occurs to a tone within 1000ms, the next tone occurs and so on. The negative skip values indicate that DirectRT should skip out of the trial immediately because a response to the visual stimulus has been given.

Does that help?

Works like a charm

Thank you very much- That worked for the responses. The (-) trick works for jumping and maintain a "full" maximum fixed interval.