Empirisoft Support

Welcome to Empirisoft Support

Thread: Powerpoint pps with macro error

Powerpoint pps with macro error

Hi - I have a medialab experiment file that calls a PowerPoint PPS file with an embedded macro (monitoring participants progress through a training tutorial and allowing or restricting them access to content according to path taken). When I run it with MediaLab there are no problems (the macro works perfectly); however, after the last slide a pop-up window asks me whether or not I want to save changes made to file, even though no changes were made.

How can I prevent that window from poping-up? Is this an issue with Medialab or PowerPoint?

Thanks!

Problem with VB coding: Here's the solution

I figured it out. The problem is with VB code and not MediaLab. Basically, at the end of the presentation the message "would you like to save changes" appeared because - I assume - all my defined variables in VB were not set to their initial state. Basically, I have just added a sub that 'initializes' all my variables to their initial state, and then I add a line to close the application in the same sub (e.g., ActivePresentation.Quit).

monitor user's progress in powerpoint

Hi sscielzo (and anyone else out there),
    I was wondering if you could help me out.

I would also like to create a powerpoint that can monitor a user's progress through the slideshow. Mine would have objects with custom action settings, so there would be interactive content, and users might click on different objects and see different parts of the show.

I want to know what parts of the slideshow were clicked on, what pages were viewed as a result, how long they viewed each slide for, etc. Anything that would indicate how much they interacted with it. Is that similar to what your VB macro did?

If you could give me some pointers or links on how I would do that or even send an example, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Sounds super cool but sadly I can't offer much in this regard. Sscielzo--is this something you can help out with here? Maybe posting a sample of what you were able to work out here?

Save changes window

I have the exact problem sscielzo had and then mysteriously figured out. My ambitions however are much smaller as I simply want to insert a few text box objects and check box objects into the powerpoint file (no macros, no recorded data, etc.). I've googled around for a clarification on how to 'initialize' these objects in VBA, but I haven't found anything yet. Just hoping someone else who has come across this can share a solution. Thanks!

I posted this question to the forums at vbaexpress.com and someone was kind enough to help me with the following advice.

"First of all be aware that you may have problems with macro security if you use vba. On many institution PCs vba is disabled

You need to run the 'I am already saved' code at the end of your show.

Press f11 to get to the vb editor
    In this INSERT > Module
    copy and paste in this code

VBA:
    Sub Iamsaved()
    ActivePresentation.Saved = msoTrue
    SlideShowWindows(1).View.Quit
    End Sub
    VBA tags courtesy of www.thecodenet.com

If you have a next slide or end show button on the last slide select it and change the action to RUN Macro"

I had to play around with it quite a bit it worked in the end. Hopefully this will help out someone in the future with the same problem!

Thanks for the info fdanbold! (sorry for the post delay, external links send posts to a moderation queue to ensure they're not spam).

Quote Originally Posted by sscielzo View Post
    Hi - I have a medialab experiment file that calls a PowerPoint PPS file with an embedded macro (monitoring participants progress through a training tutorial and allowing or restricting them access to content according to path taken). When I run it with MediaLab there are no problems (the macro works perfectly); however, after the last slide a pop-up window asks me whether or not I want to save changes made to file, even though no changes were made.

How can I prevent that window from poping-up? Is this an issue with Medialab or PowerPoint?

Thanks!
    You may recover ppt files owing to repair powerpoint. It works with contemporary, intuitive interface. The tool is able to work under any Windows 98 and higher. The tool can't modify original powerpoint data during recovery.